Oprah Winfrey and her strange religion

What do y’all think as Catholics?:-1:

the “I believe in a God but not in organized religion” thing? it’s sadly prevalent today… :frowning:

6 Likes

Oh look, another big celebrity trying to make money off “religion”. Boring.

11 Likes

Does her religion require me to get a free car?

12 Likes

Oprah is a victim of her own hype.
Celebs do and say all kinds of outlandish things to stay relevant (read: in the magazines and news).

Who cares?
I certainly don’t.

9 Likes

I’d love to follow your posts for a day, you come up with the strangest yet funniest stuff. You make me laugh and that’s a good thing.:butterfly::butterfly:

5 Likes

@adamhovey1988

This is very true :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why talk about her? :eyes:

2 Likes

I think she should repent and enroll in RCIA

9 Likes

you misspelled “Repent to the Pope”

Lol jk jk

1 Like

Absolutely agree. I for I could care less.

2 Likes

If The Oprah can strong arm GM into giving me a free car, I would be glad to pay tribute.

1 Like

No. It just requires you to believe that you will get a free car, if you want it enough.

It might also come with dietary requirements. See her devotion to Our Lady of Weight Watchers for more info…

3 Likes

I would like to point out to you naysayers that she’s so important and influential, she has been on every cover of “O” magazine. Top that! :rofl:

1 Like

I was on the local news once. So take that Oprah.

6 Likes

I do care, and not because I watch Oprah (I don’t; is she’s even on TV anymore?)The reason I care is that she has enormous influence and in many ways has her pulse on American society today. She’s “spiritual but not religious” in a vague, emotion-laden, feel-good,“I’m ok you’re ok” way. She purposely straddles a soft quasi-spirituality with a thoroughly “progressive” agenda.
In short, she’s like many, many others today. No wonder she has legions of adoring fans.
Does she ever talk about Christ? Is she even Christian?

2 Likes

Oprah worships a god by the name of “weight watchers”.

6 Likes

Look up “An Oprah Fiasco” on James Randi’s archive.randi.org.

She has used disingenuous means to further her partisan favoritism of those making paranormal claims. She has increased her wealth by doing so. It is reasonable to suspect that she favors this kind of thing and self-help religious attitudes in general at least partly because it is lucrative and puts her more in the “avante garde” and the center of attention than she would be if she were just an orthodox member of a mainstream denomination.

Being the “priestess” or “goddess” for those who prefer being independent denominations of one instead of having to be obedient to a tradition they can’t control sells a lot more magazines, too. That is a very magazine-buying demographic.

1 Like

I don’t think Oprah would cop to being the “victim” of anything, including her own hype. I’d allow that she chose to be where she is within her own hype machine.

I’m trying to be charitable so I will not comment. I pray for her.

5 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.