Oprah Winfrey, Faith Hill, ..... Backing Lesbian Who Boasts of Quizzing 6-Year-Old Girl

The full list of stars who participated in the New Orleans “celebration” included, Oprah Winfrey, Faith Hill, Jessica Alba, Sally Field, Ali Larter, Salma Hayek, Jennifer Hudson, Jane Fonda, Glenn Close, Rosario Dawson, Julia Stiles, Kerry Washington, Calpernia Addams, and musicians Common, Eve, and Charmaine Neville

CHICAGO, IL, April 14, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Oprah Winfrey and Faith Hill were among the prominent celebrities who participated in the tenth anniversary of the controversial play “The Vagina Monologues” (TVM) on Satuday at the New Orleans Arena.An updated version of the play written by lesbian (bisexual) Eve Ensler was performed by Winfrey at the arena. The new version includes a chapter in which a six-year-old girl is asked several questions about her vagina.

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/apr/08041402.html

Also added a picture of Patti Kraft whose father owns Very Fine and Poland Springs, Feb. 7, 2004 - Boston Herald.

“Patti Kraft. of the Super Bowl-winning New England Patriots family, local AFTRA Prez Barbara Ito and Aerosmith missus Terry Hamilton kicked back the other night after their performance in Eve Ensler’s Vagina Monologues. The SRO benefit show at John Hancock raised a bundle for Second Step, a group that helps survivors of domestic abuse.”

I am 41. When I was younger there was an outcry by feminists that women not be objectionified. Although I would not consider myself much of a feminists I have to agree with the feminists of twenty years ago.

Now we have women claiming that it is enpowering to view women only as body parts. Not only is the mind boggling to me, I find this view sexiest and narrow. Its also very harmful to young girl’s self esteem. I would rather my daughters be proud that they can play piano, be kind to others or do math well, then be focused on a body part.

Why focus in on vaginas at all? Why not focus in on arm pits or elbows? So what, I as a female have a vagina, big whoop. I have a neck and nose also, but no one has plays on female heels. How is my vagina more important to me then any other body part?

This type of thinking seems immature to me.:shrug:

Actutally, alot of Feminist DO dislike the VM for that very reason. True feminists shouldn’t find it the least bit empowering when someone thinks it’s ok to make women a summation of her parts, most importantly, the parts that men like for pleasure. What about her brain?

As much as the play offends me because it objectifies women, it offends me even more to realize that the author wrote a series of monologues about a word she doesn’t know the meaning of.

In one of the monologues she write about a woman whose boyfriend wants her to shave her vagina. My reaction was “Lady, if you have hair in your vagina your boyfriend is the least of your problems!”

:stuck_out_tongue:

Well maybe his lack of knowledge of the correct terminology is :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a few nits to pick though … firstly the journalist who wrote the article doesn’t seem to know whether Eve Ensler is lesbian or bisexual. The two are mutually contradictory terms, so it behoves a journalist to know the difference, know that a person can’t possibly be BOTH lesbian AND bisexual, and use the correct term.

As for the OP - the thread title is totally wrong. VM is a work of FICTION, and it is a FICTIONAL character who is being quizzed about her vagina.

Now the author wrote the play, doesn’t mean she’s ‘boasting’ about anything, she may be criticising the practice for all you know, nor does it mean that she really quizzed a real six year old about her vagina fer crying out loud! It’s not even like a six-year-old actress would be reading those lines, rather a mature (physically if not mentally or emotionally) adult woman.

If you want your arguments to be taken seriously you have got to not just be accurate, but more accurate than those you’re arguing against.

No, if you watch the movie you will see Eve Ensler acting horrified that the women she was interviewing had never seen their vaginas. That was my first clue that Ensler didn’t know the proper terminology for her own body parts. I wanted to shake her and say “Lady, if you used the proper term maybe you’d get a different answer – and you wouldn’t come across as ignorant. After all, most of us don’t have a speculum handy.”

The entire ‘script’ is filled with wrongful use of the word ‘vagina’ for ‘vulva’.

Yes, many little girls do examine themselves with a mirror but many probably don’t. Unless a creditable study is done showing that women who have previously looked at their genitilia have more positive an outlook on thier bodies and higher self esteem, Ensler’s shock over this issue will continue to be silly to me.

But there’s a big difference between our genitalia and our vagina. You can check out your genitalia with a mirror, but you need another piece of equipment to look inside your vagina.

I believe it also involves a mirror but not the type you can buy at the store :nope:

originally posted by LilyM
Now the author wrote the play, doesn’t mean she’s ‘boasting’ about anything, she may be criticising the practice for all you know, nor does it mean that she really quizzed a real six year old about her vagina fer crying out loud!

It sounds like she did ask a six year old. I am not sure if most six year olds would know what a vagina was.

On pages 103-104 of the 10th-anniversary edition of The Vagina Monologues, in a chapter titled, “I Asked a Six-Year-Old Girl,” Ensler asks the following questions based on an interview with an unnamed girl

The Vagina Monologues has played at high schools and colleges and we can teach girls what their sexual organs are and the pleasure of them.

However, we are not allowed to talk to even college married women about the feel of her cervix or how to examine her muscus to see if she is ovulating. To me, this group would be the first to scream, “that is disgusting.”

I see what you mean now, from the entire article it may have been based on a real interview she did.

None of the questions listed are in the remotest about pleasure, though. I don’t find them to be sexualising at all. They do focus on the vagina but treat it much as they probably would any other part of the body, not in a particularly sexual way.

Where did you get the notion that you’re not allowed to discuss NFP in high school or college? It’s a method of birth control like any other, I’m sure it must be permitted to discuss it if it’s permitted to discuss pills and diaphragms. I don’t know of any laws against doing so :shrug:

And who finds it disgusting? I don’t think it’s particularly related to sexuality or support of TVM, if anything they’d probaby be MORE likely to discuss such things.

They’re the sort of questions a doctor would discuss with you, most people don’t find a doctor’s visit disgusting, though perhaps a little uncomfortable.

Why would anyone make such a big deal about the vagina, vulva, clitoris and other female organs. To me this is a way to get the girls interested in only one part of their body. I’ve read the play awhile back.

It seems to me to be sexual. And I personally believe that is part of the purpose.

I doubt if many high schools of colleges are going to allow a true NFP doctor to come in.

I think you are wrong if you thing the people who put on the Vagina Monolugues want to talk about body mucus, ovulation or the cervix. I agree it is not sexual.

As they were setting up for the play at a local high school, I went in and saw bowls of condoms, condom holders,literature with diagrams of the vulva, etc. In fact I have copies of info but I don’t think the forum would let me post them.

My children were told the correct names for their body parts from birth.

Okay, I taught them vagina not vulva.:stuck_out_tongue:

**If your vagina got dressed, what would it wear?"

• If it could speak, what would it say?"
  • What does your vagina remind you of?"
  • What’s special about your vagina?"
  • What does your vagina smell like?"
    [answer:] “Snowflakes.”**

Substitue the word armpit for vagina and imagine an adult asking your child these questions. They might not be sexual but they would seem stupid and odd to an extreme degree. You would probably hesitate to let this adult near your child, not because you are afraid of molestation but because you would think that the adult had some undiagnosed mental disorder.

The last question I take issue with because I think that the author assumes that a girl with a good self image thinks that her privates naturally smells wonderful. People, if a woman is not clean then she is going to stink horribly. If the little girl had said 'armpits stink if you aren’t clean." No one would have thought that she would need higher self esteem.

Or imagine a man asking this of your little 6 year old son?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.