Opus Dei & Dominicans

Hello everyone, this is my first post here!

I have been considering possible vocations with both Opus Dei and the Order of Preachers. I am unsure at this point as to whether or not God is calling me to the priesthood... so I have been pursuing activities with Opus Dei recently.

This is a hypothetical question, but would it be possible for an Opus Dei supernumerary to later enter the Dominican Order (as a novice)?

Thank you. Pax tecum!

[quote="mn40, post:1, topic:239096"]
Hello everyone, this is my first post here!

I have been considering possible vocations with both Opus Dei and the Order of Preachers. I am unsure at this point as to whether or not God is calling me to the priesthood... so I have been pursuing activities with Opus Dei recently.

This is a hypothetical question, but would it be possible for an Opus Dei supernumerary to later enter the Dominican Order (as a novice)?

Thank you. Pax tecum!

[/quote]

Et Cum Spiritu Tuo!

Yes, as Opus Dei is not a religious order, it's a personal prelature, and do not ordain themselves (apart from by invitation by the superior general), members of Opus Dei are laymen and women, Secular Priests, some religious priests, I am unsure if Religious Brothers and Sisters could join Opus Dei, incase there is a conflict between the spirituality, you'ld have to consult your superior.

Funny, I just met a Dominican brother who had previously been an Opus Dei Cooperator. We talked about how the two vocations must be mutually exclusive, because members of Opus Dei are in the lay state and Dominicans are religious. He was asked to leave Opus Dei when he entered the Dominican Order. But he did say that Opus Dei had been excellent preparation for his Dominican vocation. Come to think of it, I know a young lady who had been a member of Opus Dei who left to join a religious order also. Members of Opus Dei make no vows, so it's very easy to leave if one discerns a vocation to religious life.

I can't speak to Religious orders, but I'm blessed to live in a Diocese where quite a few secular priests are affiliated with the Priestly Society of the Holy Cross. As I understand it, this is a "branch" of Opus Dei specifically intended to support the diocesan priesthood. In addition to this, the priest who is Vicar General of our diocese is an Opus Dei Cooperator.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.