Opus Dei rights itself - Catholic Information Center cancels Cokie Roberts promotion

Opus Dei rights itself - Catholic Information Center cancels Cokie Roberts promotion

Rev. Arne A. Panula, an Opus Dei priest who is director of the Catholic Information Cen -ter in downtown Washington, deserves credit for canceling the Cokie Roberts book signing scheduled for today. In a political city filled with big egos and boastful bigwigs, it takes courage to admit a mistake and correct it. That's what Father Panula did, and in so doing, he showed true leadership and grit.
That said, The Washington Times has received violent and malicious protests from some members of Opus Dei. For this reason, it is instructive to remind that the error that created this scandal was the Catholic Information Center's invitation to and promotion of a notorious dissenter against Catholic moral teachings on abortion, birth control and homosexuality. The mistake was the invitation, not the protest or criticism of it. In fact, Father Panula's eventual cancellation of the event shows that protests can and do work when in defense of a greater good.

more...

[quote="buffalo, post:1, topic:187572"]

Rev. Arne A. Panula, an Opus Dei priest who is director of the Catholic Information Cen -ter in downtown Washington, deserves credit for canceling the Cokie Roberts book signing scheduled for today. In a political city filled with big egos and boastful bigwigs, it takes courage to admit a mistake and correct it. That's what Father Panula did, and in so doing, he showed true leadership and grit.
That said, The Washington Times has received violent and malicious protests from some members of Opus Dei. For this reason, it is instructive to remind that the error that created this scandal was the Catholic Information Center's invitation to and promotion of a notorious dissenter against Catholic moral teachings on abortion, birth control and homosexuality. The mistake was the invitation, not the protest or criticism of it. In fact, Father Panula's eventual cancellation of the event shows that protests can and do work when in defense of a greater good.

more...

[/quote]

It's good to see this taken care of. Fr. Panula is my confessor, and he's an excellent and orthodox priest. I'm certain that, as he said, the CIC was just unaware of Cokie Roberts' heterodox views.

a notorious dissenter against Catholic moral teachings on abortion, birth control and homosexuality.

Weird, I’d never heard Mrs. Roberts espouse said views. Not that I’m questioning this article, but among all the times I’ve seen her on This Week, I just don’t remember her saying anything of that nature. Either way, it’s sad to hear. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.