Oral Roberts and his "vision?"

Oral Roberts had a “vision” of Jesus many years ago. In the “vision” Oral said he had to raise money or Jesus would “call him home.” I do not know exactly what Oral said about this and I would like your help.

Here are my questions:

What did Oral Roberts say happened in this "vision?'
Where did it occur?
Does it meet Catholic critera for being a valid “vision?” Why or why not?
Do you think it was valid?
Was the “City of Faith” ever completed in time? (The inside I believe is still unfinished)

PS. I have not voted since I do not know enough about the “vision” yet.

i find it odd that Jesus would tell someone to raise money.
I could see Jesus telling someone to build a building that will glorify the Kingdom of God and will convert souls to Christ.
But i don’t think that Jesus is all that concerned with money.

Quoting a book here:

Oral Roberts, you may recall, is the man who claimed that Jesus told him God had chosen him to find an effective treatment for cancer. In a lengthy appeal, Roberts avowed that the Lord told him “I would not have had you and your partners build the 20-storey research tower unless I was going to give you a plan that will attack cancer.” Roberts then said that Jesus instructed him to tell his partners that “this is not Oral Roberts asking but their Lord”.

(The project was completed, but has since been shut down and sold to a group of investors for commercial development. And no cure for cancer was found).

End quote

Now that project was a while ago. Roberts has had another “vision recently” concerning the future of the USA, Jews, Christians and the World. He discussed it recently with Kenneth Copeland and Richard (son of Oral) Roberts (more word of faith teachers). Apparently this link is to the transcript of that discussion but this copy of internet explorer won’t allow me to access any page that ends in pdf so I can’t comment on it.

kcm.org/wake_up_call.pdf

More from the book (by Hank Hanegraaff - who overstates his case sometimes and isn’t dead even though Benny Hinn said that God was going to strike him down)

“On January 4th 1987 Roberts launched his most notorious campaign to date. Roberts told his followers that if he did not raise a total of 8 million dollars by March, God was going to take his life.” end quote. I don’t know if the 8 million was raised. In any case Oral didn’t die.

This page gives the history of the “City of Faith”. It’s a very anti-site so may have to be read with the same precautions as reading an anti-catholic site. And this site is anti-catholic so be warned. It’s anti everyone except for themselves. But the initial page is useful for the history of the “City of Faith”

ondoctrine.com/10robero.htm

When reading The Way of The Pilgrim one thing that struck me was the instruction to be very, very, very sure before ascribing religious or mystical experience to God. Maybe Roberts, the Word of Faith teachers and those who get charismatic “words” should bear that in mind sometimes.

Blessings

Asteroid

If you know of any good Catholic sites discussing - preferrably sensibly - the Word of Faith movement please let me know. It probably isn’t as much of an issue for Catholics as for your average evangelical/pentecostal. Many thanks.

ugh,

reading that article was like taking out a splinter. It felt good once i closed the window and stopped reading that bilge.
Oral Roberts certainly sounds nationalistic to me.
According to him it sounds like the world was made for America and that America is most blessed.
I didn’t read the whole thing, but it makes me wonder why God didn’t mention to Oral Roberts about the millions being killed in Rwanda.

I wonder how anyone with a smattering of faith and knowledge can believe this stuff…But then again after spending 40 years in darkness myself, who am I?:rolleyes:

[quote=catsrus]I wonder how anyone with a smattering of faith and knowledge can believe this stuff…But then again after spending 40 years in darkness myself, who am I?:rolleyes:
[/quote]

I’m with you. Both in terms of what you said, and in terms of your screen name.

DaveBj (Meow)

At the time, I thought it sounded like an extortion attempt.

"Oral. This is God. Raise lots of money or . . . I’ll bring you home :eek: "

But if you believe in Heaven, “going home” isn’t such a bad thing.

It would have been more believable if God told him that if he didn’t raise the money he’d live for 300 years.

Have other protestants had similar ‘extortion’ attemptes by “Jesus” or is Oral the only one rash enough to try it? Does Oral still preach on this point?

Protestants have the Bible alone… they won’t accept any Oral tradition.

Mr S

[quote=MrS]Protestants have the Bible alone… they won’t accept any Oral tradition.

Mr S
[/quote]

tradtional protestants yes but some of the newer sects are big on prophecy Assemblies of God (Pentacostals) like Roberts are big on talking to God and propehcy and Seven Day advetist are big on the tradition of Mrs. E.G. White her writings are on par with catholic tradtion is such a comparision would be made. Remeber it was the vision of the Plymouth Brethren that gave us the Rapture doctrine and it was the vision of Branch Davidians that gave us Waco tragedy.
Many of the newer movements of protestantism are not strict on sola scriptura as the earlier portestant movements. Which actually makes them more scary since any nut can declare any doctrine and it would go unquestioned.

This reminds me of a joke I heard about Oral Roberts…

Q. Did you hear that Oral Roberts died?
A. The check bounced. :rotfl:

[quote=MrS]Protestants have the Bible alone… they won’t accept any Oral tradition…
[/quote]

:rotfl:
Thats the best joke I’ve heard today! I wonder if everyone ‘sees’ your play on words?

Oral (Roberts) tradition vs. Oral Tradition

Keep em comming!

I am sure that many good Christians have personal visions, Many of the Saints have. I just couldn’t read all of this because it seems to be a* possible* private revelation to a man who is not in the fullness of Truth, so I don’t think it is a revelation for me. I will stick to official Catholic-approved private revelations and Scripture. He referrs to things that are a little suspect. Nothing against the guy, I am just very cautious what I let into my mind. I am cautious about false prophets and false prophecy. If we are living the Gospel, loving God with all our hearts and minds, allowing Christ to transform our lives to a life of holiness, allowing God to mold us in the palm of His hand, and loving our neighbors as ourselves, we have nothing to fear. I put my Trust in His Divine Mercy.

Thats the best joke I’ve heard today! I wonder if everyone ‘sees’ your play on words?

Oral (Roberts) tradition vs. Oral Tradition

Keep em comming!
[/quote]

GOOD Stuff, good stuff… I also noticed right away that his son calls Oral “My father” and that Oral calls the other dude, “my son in Christ” Am I assuming too much that they might possibly object to Catholics calling our priests “father?”

oral roberts is a person making a fine living…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.