Oral Roberts prays for spouse to die?

I was watching the “celebration” for the wife of Oral Roberts after she died. Oral was preaching/speaking at the Mybee Center about his wife. During his preaching/speaking/celebration he said that he prayed that his wife would die while she was in the hospital shortly before she did in fact die. Oral also refused to put his wife on life support.

My questions are these:

Are Christians to pray for death or life?

Is it OK to pray for people to die?

SHould we put people on life support and pray for them to get better and/or God to perform a miracle and heal the person?

Should Christians choose when to die?

What point should Christians refuse life support to others?

Could God have called Mrs. Roberts home in response to Orals prayer instead of allowing her to recover?

Would Oral support the courts in Florida in taking people off life support and then starving them to death? (In ref. to Mrs. Schiavo (sp?))

I just have numerous questions about what Oral said and I would like help from anyone that knows more about his position on this. I would also like to hear what Catholics think about what Oral said. Oral could have meant something very different then the way in which he said it or I took it. He may even have a god point that I missed?

Oral seems like a good man, I just want to know more about what he means and teaches and where it is found in Sacred Scripture.

Thanks for your help,

PS. Oral talked about speaking in tongues. Is there a website or video I can get that shows him speaking in tongues? Did anyone else notice how Oral claimed to have two way conversations with God and that God litterally spoke to Oral? Does Oral really mean he “felt like” God spoke to him?

I guess that Evangelical Protestants do pray for a family member who is not expected to recover from an accident to die. There is nothing wrong with refusing artificial life support.

Only God creates life and only God can decide when to take a life from this world.

When my mother was suffering so badly in the hospital, I prayed for God to please help her and end her suffering, but I never prayed for her to die. It’s so hard to see loved one suffering, but we should remember to pray that God’s will be done.

Shannin

Probably he was praying for a quick death without prolonged suffering.

Isn’t Oral Roberts the Televangelist that said that God had said that he would die if $1,000,000 wasn’t raised for his university??? I think the guy, generally, has delusions of grandeur… I lost what little respect I had for him after that escapade.

[quote=WhiteDove]Probably he was praying for a quick death without prolonged suffering.

Isn’t Oral Roberts the Televangelist that said that God had said that he would die if $1,000,000 wasn’t raised for his university??? I think the guy, generally, has delusions of grandeur… I lost what little respect I had for him after that escapade.
[/quote]

The answer to your question is ‘yes’.

[quote=WhiteDove]Probably he was praying for a quick death without prolonged suffering.

[/quote]

I think it was more like 10 or 15 million.

It is perfectly okay to pray that God relieves someone’s suffering, but I would find it a bit tacky to pray for the early death of a loved one.

That almost borders on mercy killing, although we are not actively doing anything to hasten the death, its like someone cheering death on. We must always choose life, as it is a precious gift from God.

[quote=WhiteDove]Isn’t Oral Roberts the Televangelist that said that God had said that he would die if $1,000,000 wasn’t raised for his university??? I think the guy, generally, has delusions of grandeur… I lost what little respect I had for him after that escapade.
[/quote]

And people went for that? Can you say gullible?

50 years ago it was a common Catholic tradition to pray for "… a quick recovery or a happy death …" for those who were weriously ill.

[/quote]

Just a note here. Orals ‘City of Faith’ is still unfinished on the inside and Oral has still not been called home to Jesus. Oh yeah, ORU sold off the unfinished project to private business too. So if Oral said that God would call him home if he didn’t finish the project and the project is unfinished, who is lying here, God or Oral? Is this a sign of a false prophet? Hum???:whistle: Does Oral really have two way conversations with God as he claims or just an over active ego and self delusions?:hmmm:

I live in Tulsa so I see ORU and the City of Faith (or is that the City of faith? (small ‘f’)) and hear news about the Roberts regularly.

Just to say it again, Oral seems like a nice man but I am just posing some questions here.

Now Pope JPII endured in pain and hung on to life and fought for life to the end. He showed us by example that life is precious and from God and should be desired, even if difficult and painfull. Jesus did not resign from His cross or suffering and pain and neither should we. Life support can be used to help us but not allways to keep our body alive when our body has decided it’s time to die.

Thanks for the responses so far.

PS. I think our last Pope offered a better lesson on Christian practice then what I heard from Oral Roberts based on the responses so far. Oral Roberts is a good man but he is no Pope John Paul II. Pope JPII was one of the greatest leaders of the Christian Church of all time. He will be missed but we must look to new Popes to set new examples that will build upon His and lead all Christians to Jesus Christ, our personnal Lord and savior.

.liveChristdie****gain

Why prolong the agony , when heaven awaits if you are saved .

[quote=Malachi4U]I During his preaching/ he said that he prayed that his wife would die while she was in the hospital shortly before she did in fact die. Oral also refused to put his wife on life support.

My questions are these:

Are Christians to pray for death or life?

Is it OK to pray for people to die?

SHould we put people on life support and pray for them to get better and/or God to perform a miracle and heal the person?

Should Christians choose when to die?

What point should Christians refuse life support to others?

Could God have called Mrs. Roberts home in response to Orals prayer instead of allowing her to recover?

Would Oral support the courts in Florida in taking people off life support and then starving them to death? (In ref. to Mrs. Schiavo (sp?))

I just have numerous questions about what Oral said and I would like help from anyone that knows more about his position on this. I would also like to hear what Catholics think about what Oral said. Oral could have meant something very different then the way in which he said it or I took it. He may even have a god point that I missed?

Oral seems like a good man, I just want to know more about what he means and teaches and where it is found in Sacred Scripture.

Thanks for your help,

[/quote]

You can GOOGLE ----“st. rita of cascia”----- in the Internet.

St. Rita of Cascia, if my memory is correct, had two sons, no daughters, and was married to a drunkard, politician who often physically beat her and the children. One day the husband was murdered and the sons were planning to kill the murderer or murderers. Unable to do much about it, ST. RITA OF CASCIA PRAYED FOR GOD TO TAKE HER SONS RATHER THAN HER SONS TO COMMIT THIS GRIEVOUS SIN OF VENGEANCE BY MURDER. GOD ANSWERED HER PRAYERS AND TOOK HER SONS.

Now a widow and no children, I think she became a nun. But one thing I am sure about her is that in church, SHE SMELLED SO BAD!!! IT IS BECAUSE SHE HAD A STIGMATA OF A THORN ON HER FOREHEAD, AND THE STIGMATA SMELLED WITH STENCH!!! NOBODY KNEW AT THAT TIME THAT SHE WILL BE A SAINT, AND PEOPLE WERE TALKING!!! PEOPLE WERE SAYING THAT SHE WAS BEING PUNISHED FOR ASKING GOD TO TAKE HER CHILDREN!!!

On death however, St. Rita of Cascia’s body never decayed!!! And if my memory is correct, her body is fragrant!!! Today, she is known as “THE PATRON SAINT OF THE IMPOSSIBLE”.

In Portugal or Spain, there was a woman who died exactly on October 13. I THINK SHE IS THE LADY CALLED ALEXANDRINA da Costa. And she is material in the appearance of Our lady of the Rosary in Fatima, Portugal. She, and I think her two girl cousins, were in the house sewing when suddenly several men burst into the house with the intention to rape them. But Alexandrina ended up on the second floor of the house. Alexandrina prayed to God to take her rather than be a party to this sin. At the very last moments to escape the attack, SHE JUMPED OFF THEIR SECOND STOREY WINDOW TO THE GROUND BELOW!!! (yet we are told that suicide is a sin against the Holy Spirit, the SIN OF DESPAIR, THE SIN WHICH CANNOT BE FORGIVEN.) ALEXANDRINA ENDED UP SEMI CRIPPLED AND ABOUT TEN YEARS LATER WAS COMPLETELY A QUADRUPLEDGIC. THAT’S WHEN SHE SURVIVED FOR MANY MANY YEARS, I THINK 50 YEARS, EATING NOTHING BUT THE HOLY EUCHARIST!!! AND YOU KNOW THERE WAS NO FRAUD BECAUSE SHE WAS A QUADRUPLEDGIC AND BEDRIDDEN!!!

Another case, I think, where a person prayed for death was the case of the girl who was CANONIZED BY POPE JOHN PAUL II, and IN THE CANONIZATION CEREMONY, NOT ONLY THE MOTHER, BUT ALSO HER KILLER AND ATTEMPTED RAPIST, AND OTHER RELATIVES WERE STILL ALIVE AND PRESENT. Other bloggers might be able to remember and tell you who she is. She died, I think, when she was only 12 years old. She is the saint who visited her murderer, Alejandro, in prison in a dream where she gave him white lilies, EXACTLY ONE WHITE LILY FOR EACH STAB WOUND SHE RECEIVED FROM HIM. Her mother forgave her murderer, I think the two of them were sitted side by side during the cannonization ceremony. Her murderer became a priest.

I think, the common pattern here is people praying to God, asking either for God to take them or for God to take others, SO THAT A GRAVE SIN WILL NOT BE COMMITED!!!

Arguing for Oral Roberts, maybe he was praying to God to spare him the possible future sin where he might end up committing or tempted to commit euthanasia.

Since we are talking here about asking God to take one’s or somebody else’s life, AND SINCE SINS AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT CANNOT BE FORGIVEN, kindly look for flaws or mistakes in the examples I told above, because I can and do make mistakes.

Are you talking about St. Maria Goretti, who resisted rape?

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

[quote=JOEH_1]Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Why prolong the agony , when heaven awaits if you are saved .
[/quote]

So, why didn’t Jesus just die sooner rather then suffer?
Why didn’t St. Peter/Kephas pray to die before being crucified upside down.
Why did Jesus create us just to suffer?
Does this make assited suicide Christian?
Does Jesus support suicide?
Does suffering bring us closer to God?
Did the suffering of Jesus bring us closer to God?

Joseph Smith once said that if anyone could imagine how wonderfull even the ‘terrestial’ kingdom/planet was they would commit suicide just to get there sooner. Suicide sounds very Mormon based on what Joe said.

So many more questions based upon your very short answer. You have hit on a good point though, could you elaborate on it in some detail and examples? Glad to see you here and hope to read more of your posts.

Of course suffering isn’t pleasant. I’m learning to grin and bear it because it’s a great opportunity to offer it up - redemptive suffering! We should stop letting our suffering go to waste and give it to God for those who haven’t come to Him yet. God bless you.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

[quote=coralewisjr]Are you talking about St. Maria Goretti, who resisted rape?

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne
[/quote]

Coralewisjr, all

That’s right. Thanks. St. Maria Goretti. She’s the one model that Protestant students from Oral Roberts University need today!!! One white lily for each of them please, St Maria Goretti.

I know a 90+ year old lady who was ill. She was asking everybody to pray the Lord take her home. She was ready. I thought it was a beautiful thing to ask. We weren’t praying for her to die but to go home with the Lord.

[quote=AServantofGod]I know a 90+ year old lady who was ill. She was asking everybody to pray the Lord take her home. She was ready. I thought it was a beautiful thing to ask. We weren’t praying for her to die but to go home with the Lord.
[/quote]

Good point! So should we pray for the unborn to go home too if we don’t want them?:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.