"Ordain women," London bus ads will urge Pope

I’m sure the Pope will be convinced to change his mind. :smiley:

Pope Benedict will be confronted by posters on London’s famous red buses during his trip to the British capital next month which will call for the ordination of women priests.

One group of women, Catholic Women’s Ordination (CWO), will have its message plastered on the side of the buses as they travel along key routes, including past Westminster Hall, at the Palace of Westminster, where the pope is set to deliver a speech to Britain’s civic society on September 17.

The group has paid 15,000 pounds ($23,130) for 15 buses to carry the message “Pope Benedict - Ordain Women Now!” for a month.

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_religion_britain_pope;_ylt=Au_7IhFjUzclnfXKwkLfLg87Xs8F;_ylu=X3oDMTJ2ZGptMTJ1BGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAwODI2L3VzX3JlbGlnaW9uX2JyaXRhaW5fcG9wZQRwb3MDMTEEc2VjA3luX3BhZ2luYXRlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDcXVvdG9yZGFpbndv

The group also plans to protest outside Lambeth Palace while Pope Benedict is meeting with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

I clicked on this thread to say as much.

:rolleyes:

Yes, it seems like an odd way to try to persuade the Pope. I wonder if they are actually trying to change the minds of ordinary Catholics? Or perhaps strengthen the attitudes of non-Catholics? Or simply draw attention to themselves, in hopes of soliciting more members and increased donations?

Who knows. :shrug: My bet is that they are doing it for attention. Seems like an awful waste of money…

Blast. There they go again. How annoying. And yes, it is an awful waste of money. They have a far better chance of joining other faith communities who ordain women than “reforming” the Catholic Church’s position.

Another thing, it is unlikely that buses would be allowed to ply the key routes on the day/hour anyway. I plan to be at Whitehall to wave my Papal flag and cheer support for the Holy Father but, I doubt that I’d even be allowed to do that.

Sorry no offence, I am from Bangalore India. If you think You will not be allowed to wave the Papal flag, I think you have all the more reason to do so… You probably have to find out if Britain’s secularism is one sided !! It would be the news of the millanieum to see people are been prevented from cheering the Pope in BRITAIN!!! Good luck bro… Wish If I could be there to cheer the Pope…

I think a certain group of somebodies must have missed a lesson in catechism when they were younger…

My mistake. I ought to have been clearer as I meant access to Whitehall on foot and as part of the welcoming crowd. We do not know what security restrictions would be in place for the day. Bet you my bottom sterling pound that I will be waving my Papal flag, as would many others. Wish you were here on the day.

They are addressing the wrong person… The Pope does not have the power to ordain Women – saying “Pope Benedict - Ordain Women Now!” is absurd.

Not only is their request completely ignorant of Catholic Theology; it is also addressed to the wrong person. What a truly pathetic and ridiculous waste of their money.

Seems like buses are the new pop music: vehicles for the vacuous, self-centred, ill-conceived slogans of human arrogance and rebellion.
First ‘atheist’ buses (actually atheists were having a cent both ways with those signs which said ‘There’s probably no God’:D).
Now anti-Catholic ‘priestess buses’:stuck_out_tongue:
Charming.

Are the perpetrators ignorant of Catholic Theology? i doubt it.

What a truly pathetic and ridiculous waste of their money.

Chucking away their money on this stunt means less money is available for some other nefarious scheme.

It is very odd. In terms of trying to look “credible”, bus ads fall somewhere between billboards (on the high end) and late night infomercials.

I don’t. They seem to have no idea about Catholic theology, but they seem to like Protestant theology. In Catholic theology, neither laity nor priests have a say in theology at all (and bishops do only when gathered together). What these people want is to be like Protestants who just gather together when they’re upset “vote” on what’s right and wrong.

There is no point in these adverts because lay Catholics do not get a vote, and bishops (almost all at least) and the Magisterium aren’t going to listen anyways. The Church doesn’t change established doctrine just because a few people are upset.

I’m sure BXVI will take one look at those signs, turn the Popemobile around, rush back to the Vatican and…git’ur done!! :wink:

Yes, sarcasm intended.

Surely, SURELY there is some wag in Britain who will append an addendum to at least a few of the signs, saying “Beginning with the Queen”.

Might put a damper on the ardor of those who are so keen to put up those signs.

Oh so it is just his mind. Here I’ve been led to think it is HIS mind. :bigyikes:

Pope Benedict will be confronted by posters on London’s famous red buses during his trip to the British capital next month which will call for the ordination of women priests.

One bad sign deserves another: “Here’s your sign!”

[SIGN]“Elect Frenchmen,” Parisian bus ads will urge British Prime Minister…[/SIGN]

Have you seen any billboards encouraging:

1. Orthodox Jews To Be Allowed to Eat Ham Sandwiches

2. Muslim Women To Be Allowed to Wear Mini Skirts

(I stole the idea from Bill Donahue)

Exactly. And also no doubt to undermine Catholicism. Surely nobody seriously believes that an unchangeable Catholic dogma can be reversed by an advertsing campaign. And as mentioned it is very unlikely the Pope would get to see any of the ads anyway.

It`s more than “a few people” who are upset. In this part of the world, a hell of a lot of “practising Catholics” are of the opinion (deliberate wording) that “priestesses” are OK. It must be more or less the same elsewhere. No matter how much good teaching is put in front of them, they refuse to budge.

Don`t forget the nice new doctrine of “Loyal Dissent”!

There are individuals who know exactly what the Church teaches, and who reject those teachings outright, and choose to disobey. Sure, a lot of others are led along without knowing it, but a lot of those folks don`t want to know, either. How many “priestess” threads have there been on these forums…like the one which started on the 15th of July?

The advertising industry knows how to put it over some people: just tell `em often enough. Same with the Enemy.

From the point of view of the Father of lies, the “priestess” “issue” is just part of a war of attrition to drain the Church of spiritual energy. He cant conquer, but he can cripple, and thats “better” than nothing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.