Order of Melchizedek: Who is in and who is out

Melchizedek is one of the most powerful yet little known character in the Bible. He was a Kingpriest from Shalom which later became Jerashalom(Jerusalem),and offered a bread and wine sacrifice on Abrahams behalf (Gen.14:18-20). Melchizedek was not Hebrew yet he had the authority to do this.Hebrews chapter 7-9 tell us Jesus Christ is High Priest in the Order of Melchizedek. I Peter 2:9-10 tells us as Christians we are in the Order of Melchizedek by now being both Kingship and Priesthood “But now you are a chosen race, a royal priesthhood, a holy nation, a people of his own…”(NAB) This is the same right the ancient Israelites had before the fall at the golden calf. I Peter 2:4-5 calls us to be living stones(rocks) and let yourselves be built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood offering spiritual sacrifices. My question is this, if we all enter into the Royal Priesthood then does this not give us authority to offer sacrifice like Melchizedek did? Why would we need a priesthood to offer sacrifice for us? So who is in this priesthood and who is out?
Please be respectful of one and nothers beliefs I didn’t start this thread to bash Catholics,it is some questions I have and wish to learn.:thumbsup:

hi racing59, like many things in the OT we believe them to be a preconfiguration of Jesus Christ. Melchizedek is one. We believe there is only One High Priest, Our Lord Jesus Christ, who was preconfigured as Melchizedek.

By virtue of our baptism we are made one with the Body of Christ, His Church. All that Christ has He gives to us. He is our Prophet, Priest and King. By Him and through Him we are the priesthood of all believers. We are the living stones of the Church. A royal priesthood. With One High Priest who offered a pure Sacrifice once and for ALL, made ever present at Holy Mass.

To the distinction of Holy Orders. I think the Catechism describes it best

Two participations in the one priesthood of Christ
1546 Christ, high priest and unique mediator, has made of the Church "a kingdom, priests for his God and Father."20 The whole community of believers is, as such, priestly. The faithful exercise their baptismal priesthood through their participation, each according to his own vocation, in Christ’s mission as priest, prophet, and king. Through the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation the faithful are "consecrated to be . . . a holy priesthood."21
1547 The ministerial or hierarchical priesthood of bishops and priests, and the common priesthood of all the faithful participate, “each in its own proper way, in the one priesthood of Christ.” While being “ordered one to another,” they differ essentially.22 In what sense? While the common priesthood of the faithful is exercised by the unfolding of baptismal grace --a life of faith, hope, and charity, a life according to the Spirit–, the ministerial priesthood is at the service of the common priesthood. It is directed at the unfolding of the baptismal grace of all Christians. The ministerial priesthood is a *means *by which Christ unceasingly builds up and leads his Church. For this reason it is transmitted by its own sacrament, the sacrament of Holy Orders.

I recommending reading the entire section on Holy Orders.

This was a very interesting thread on this subject forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=307833

I have heard that Melchizedek was a priest from the older custom of the father and then the eldest son being the priest of the family. There is a tradition that Melchizedek was Shem, Noah’s eldest son. That would be consistent with Abraham accepting him as the family priest.

However, it is just a small “t” tradition; not a Church teaching.

Excellent thread, really tought me alot on the Catholic view. Also want to thank Rebecca J she made a difference!:wink:

Good evening racing59! I hope you are doing well. :slight_smile:

I will share with you how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints understands the priesthood, particularly the Melchizedek priesthood. Hopefully in the process I will be able to answer your questions. Please, understand that in order to make it easier for me to type, I will, rather than always qualify my statements, simply write from the LDS perspective. This doesn’t mean that I do not recognize those perspectives that would disagree with mine.

In ancient times, the Melchizedek priesthood was called the Holy Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God. This priesthood was given to Adam and was passed on, through a patriarchal lineage, to Adam’s righteous son’s and existed with all the ancient prophets such as Noah, Abraham, and Moses. The Melchizedek priesthood is the authority given to man by God “…to act in all things for the salvation of man” (D&C 50:26-27). Another way to look at it is that it is permission given by God to man to do God’s work on earth. It is the authority by which all ordinances in God’s church are performed.

During the time of Moses, the children of Israel lost the Melchizedek priesthood because they were not prepared to receive it. Although Moses was a high priest after the order of Melchizedek, the Israelites were given a lesser priesthood, called the Aaronic Priesthood. The high priests under the law of Moses did not exercise the Melchizedek priesthood, but rather they were the presiding officers of the Aaronic Priesthood. When Jesus was on the earth, along with restoring the higher laws that fulfilled the law of Moses, he also restored the Melchizedek priesthood and ordained His apostles to this priesthood. With this priesthood lies not only the authority, but also the keys to direct the Kingdom of God on earth, or His Church.

The Melchizedek priesthood anciently and today is not just received freely, but rather it is received by an oath and a covenant (D&C 84:33-42). Taking upon you the priesthood means that you have made an oath to receive Christ and also entered in to a covenant becoming a part of the seed of Abraham, making you not only duty bound to fulfill the charge of the Abrahamic covenant, but also entitling you to its blessings.

The Melchizedek priesthood can only be received through someone who has the priesthood and who has the keys to ordain others to this priesthood. Even though Jesus Christ is the great High Priest, there have been and continue to be other high priest after the order of Melchizedek. Whenever God’s church is on the earth, there is only one person who holds all the keys of the priesthood. This person is called the President of the Melchizedek priesthood. When Jesus established His church anciently, He ordained Peter as the President of the Melchizedek priesthood. Today, the LDS believe that three presiding high priests makeup the “…Presidency of the Church [of Jesus Christ] and this presidency presides over all other priesthood holders and Church members” (lds.org). The LDS believe that under the direction of the presiding Melchizedek priesthood authority, any worthy adult male who belongs to God’s church can receive the Melchizedek Priesthood. We, of course, believe God’s church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Obviously others believe differently.

Kind Regards,
Finrock

Once again thankyou Finrock for posting. Fascinating to me once again LDS believes similar to the Catholic Church, just like the Tree of Life.:thumbsup:

Gabriel of 12;
I take it that LDS believe they have the Melchizedek priesthood?

Jesus is our High Priestly King according to the order of Melchizedek, to offer a sacrifice eternally in his body and blood in the form of bread and wine. Jesus is the Alpha and OMega the beginning and the end, where as Melchizedek; no one knows where he came from and where he went.

The Melchizedek priesthood skipped over the Mosaic priesthood period, and later sufaced in the Kingly/Priesthood of King David, which became a stump, later to be concieved in the Person of Jesus Christ.

I dont find ever a Melchizedek priesthood (King and High Priest) offering acceptable sacrifice to God in the form of Bread and Wine except Jesus Christ himself. Jesus fulfilled this office of King/Priest once and for all in his body and blood sacrifice which we recieve in the form of bread and wine in his Eucharist.

IF LDS claim to a Melchizedek priesthood, then you must have another King other than Jesus Christ, how do you explain, never mind, When did the LDS recieve this Melchizedek (KIngly High Priest) priesthood? Was it from Jesus himself who fulfills this office, or from another?

I see nothing that is not in order with this question and agree that anyone can offer sacrifice to God. We are exhorted to be prophets, kingly and priestly people. Today it is not sacrifice that the Lord wants but mercy. Sacrifice has become of oneself – our body as the living sacrifice … .

So nobody is out.

My two-cent.

:slight_smile:

Hello Gabriel of 12! I’m glad to meet you. I hope you’ve had a wonderful day! :slight_smile:

In order to respect the OP, I don’t want this to turn in to a debate about the LDS understanding of priesthood, but I will happily answer these questions because it may help clarify the LDS position. However, at the OP’s request, I am simply posting for information purposes.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does believe that it has the Melchizedek Priesthood. As I stated in my first post on this thread, this priesthood is really just the Holy Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God. Or, in other words, it is the Priesthood of Jesus Christ. “But out of respect or reverence to the name of the Supreme Being, to avoid the too frequent repetition of his name, they, the church, in ancient days, called that priesthood after Melchizedek, or the Melchizedek Priesthood” (D&C 107:4). We believe that the Melchizedek Priesthood is the same Priesthood that Jesus has and ordained His apostles to during His earthly ministry. We believe that the early church functioned through the Melchizedek Priesthood (or the Priesthood of Jesus Christ) and that Peter was the presiding high priest of the Melchizedek Priesthood in the early Church. Jesus is the great High Priest and is at the head of His Church, but we believe Jesus directs His church on earth through prophets and apostles. Thus the need for a presiding high priest in the Church who holds all the keys of the priesthood to minister in all things necessary for the salvation of man.

The LDS believe that the Melchizedek Priesthood was eventually lost after the apostles were killed. We believe that acting under the direction of Jesus Christ, Peter, James, and John, who were the presiding high priests in the ancient Church, as resurrected persons appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery and restored the Melchizedek Priesthood by bestowing this priesthood upon them by the laying on of hands.

Of course, Catholics disagree most assuredly with the LDS account, but, nonetheless, this is what we believe to be true. Thank you for the questions. Hopefully my post was helpful in answering them.

Kind Regards,
Finrock

Gabriel of 12;
Greetings to you Finrock; Thank you for your commentary, I became puzzled about your statement of the Priesthood of Melchizedek, that LDS claim to possess. I respect your comments and statement, and I will take them into consideration when speaking with LDS members. I agree this topic alone of the LDS priesthood could take up another thread. You are correct the Catholic Church will disagree with you, mainly because Jesus is now reigning as King/High Priest over all of humanity when he consumated his work on the Cross. The Catholic priest and Bishops do not claim to a priesthood all their own, but are servants to the High Priesthood of Jesus Christ who fulfilled every God ordained priesthood including that of Melchizedek.

I will leave you with a prophecy fulfilled in the Catholic church from the Prophet Malachi 1:I have no pleasure in you, says the LORD of hosts; neither will I accept any sacrifice from your hands,
For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.
But you behave profanely toward me by thinking the LORD’S table and its offering may be polluted, and its food slighted.

In the Catholic Church from sunrise to its setting the Lords name is proclaimed in every nation and people, and we offer the perfect sacrifice to God not made by human hands but by the Word of God himself. For this is one of the main functions of the God’s Priesthood which also includes the body of Jesus Christ which makes his priestly office and sacrifice holy pleasing to almighty God.

What do your priest offer to God in the form of a sacrifice?

I am kind of puzzled, I thought Catholics offer a bread and wine sacrifice in the Mass?:confused:

The question was directed to Finrock, who is a Mormon.

I believe that Melchizedek was the pre-incarnate Jesus (Yahweh). Jesus appears several times in the OT, including the appearance as one of the three men who came to Abraham in Genesis 18, Later in chapter 18, He is identified as “The Lord”.

Just my 2 cents.

Question: if you do not offer bread and wine, can you be of the same order?

Sorry, I’m bad!:o/B]

Gabriel of 12;

No Catholics these past 2000 years have NEVER offered bread and wine sacrifice in the Mass.

The Catholic Church celebrates the Mass with heaven on earth; Without writing a 4 page lecture I will give the scriptures from St. Pauls teaching, followed by the commands of Jesus himself to His Apostles who handed the Liturgy down to the Catholic Church successors to the apostles and their priests and deacons.

1Corinthians 10:15
I am speaking as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I am saying.
The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?
Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

1Corinthians 11:23
11 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,
and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.
Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. 12
A person should examine himself, 13 and so eat the bread and drink the cup.
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment 14 on himself.

Matthew 26:26
14 15 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, "Take and eat; this is my body."
Then he took a cup, gave thanks, 16 and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you,
for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.

The Apostles, Early Church Fathers, Popes, Bishops, Martyrs and all Catholic believers since the resurrection have confirmed their Christian faith in the blessed sacrament of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we proclaim his death until he returns, in the consumation of his body, blood, soul and divinity in the Eucharist. Which is confected bread and wine by the Word of God “Transubstantiates” into the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. This heavenly bread of an innocent kind is no longer bread and wine, for to our flesh these remain bread and wine, but to our soul from eternity become the body, blood soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. As Jesus states; "It is the Spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail.

So from Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition from the Apostles themselves, Catholics do not offer bread and wine as a sacrifice to almighty God, these come from God but are made by human hands, and at the Words of God, they become the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ.

Now this mystery is much more than what I have just explained; We have not yet touched on the Wedding feast of the Lamb happening in Heaven with the hidden Manna, when we celebrate the Eucharist with heaven on earth at every Mass in time. Note this; no Catholic Mass in the World is distinct from each other, though we are many, we are the same body of Jesus Christ, from the rising of the sun to its setting the Lords name is proclaimed to the nations in the Catholic Mass.

Then there is the topic of Eucharistein = Thanksgiving, this term won the day in identifying the Lord’s supper since antiquity.

Peace be with you

I’m sorry but you have me really confused. Leviticus chapter 7 talks of the Peace offering ( Bloody animal sacrifice) and the Thanksgiving sacrifice “Todah” (Braed and Wine sacrifice). Jesus did these at the last Supper and change them into the Eucharist. I was under the impression as the Priesthood of Melchizedek the congragation offer a bread and wine sacrifice, then the priest says the words of concecration in the Eucharistic prayer, and then the bread and wine is changed to Christ Body and blood. I thought thats why the layity take the Bread and wine to the alter. Then give the priest permission to go into the Eucharistic Prayer. “May the Lord except this sacrifice at your hands for the praise and glory of his name” So would you say this is wrong?:confused::confused::confused:/B]

Hope this doesn’t take us 'way off the subject, but some factions of New Ageism have also taken Melchizedek as one of their own “saints”, along with the Archangels Michael, Gabriel, Rafael, and Jesus Christ, plus others. They seem to find the mystery of his very existance to be very special. Some factions espouse beliefs somewhat like some of the Mormon teaching.
As a Catholic, I cannot accept their beliefs, but it doesn’t hurt to know a little about them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.