Order of the traditional Latin Mass

Why didn’t the Church keep the order of the Mass in the traditional way but just in English?

:shrug:

Actually the order is pretty much the same–there is very little reordering–but some of the individual *parts *are different.

For example, the Offertory remains, however, the prayers are different.

One of the only major examples of actual reordering is the blessing-dismissal order.

They did, in the 60’s. DIdn’t last too long. But as YTC says, much of the Mass remained. A lot of the silent parts were cut out.

Actually, I’ve heard tell of a very similar Anglican use ad orientem English mass, where for example one would say “And with thy spirit” instead of “Et cum spiritu tuo.” There’s talk of my parish priest’s friend, a former Anglican now Catholic priest, saying it one day at our parish.

Ordinary Form Mass
(2011 Roman Missal; newly translated from the 1970, 1973 and 2002 editions).

1. Liturgy of the Word
    A. Procession - Entrance Antiphon
    B. Greeting
    C. Penitential Rite (could include Kyrie or be replaced with Rite of Sprinkling)
    D. Kyrie
    E. Gloria
    F. Opening Prayer
    G. First Reading (Lesson and or Prophecy)
    H. Responsorial Psalm
    I. Gospel Acclamation
    J. Gospel Reading
    K. Homily or Sermon
    L. Profession of Faith
    M. Prayers of the Faithful

2. Liturgy of the Eucharist
    A. Offertory
    B. Invitation to Prayer
    C. Prayer of the Offerings
    D. Preface
    E. Sanctus
    F. Eucharistic Prayer
    G. Memorial Acclamation
    H. Eucharistic Prayer Continued
    I. Doxology
    J. Amen
    K. Lord’s Prayer
    L. Sign of Peace
    M. Agnus Dei
    N. Invitation to Communion
    O. Communion Antiphon
    P. Ablutions
    Q. Prayer after Communion
    R. Blessing
    S. Dismissal

Extraordinary Form Mass (1962 Missal revised by Blessed Pope John XXIII from 1570)

1. Mass of the Catechumen
    A. Introit (includes prayers at the foot of the altar (psalm 42) and the penitential rite)
    B. Kyrie
    C. Gloria
    D. Greeting
    E. Collect (more than one collect may be said or sung in commemoration of saints etc)
    F. Epistle Reading
    G. Gradual
    F. Alleluia or Tract (During Lent and for Requiem Masses)
    H. Gospel Reading
    I. Sermon or Homily along with parochial announcements

2. Mass of the Faithful
    A. Profession of Faith
    B. Greeting
    C. Offertory Verse
    D. Offertory
    E. Invitation to Prayer
    F. Secret Prayer(s) over the offerings
    G. Preface
    H. Sanctus
    I. Roman Canon
    J. Lord’s Prayer
    K. Sign of Peace
    L. Agnus Dei
    M. Consummation of the oblation by the Priest
    N. “Third Confiteor” sung by the Deacon or recited by a server followed by absolution
    O. Invitation to Communion.
    P. Communion Verse
    Q. Ablutions and Purification of sacred vessels
    R. Greeting
    S. Collect(s) after Communion
    T. Greeting
    U. Dismissal
    V. Blessing
    X. Last Gospel
    Y. Prayers after Low Mass

I think when he said “order” of mass, he was referring to the entirety of the mass as in “Novus Ordo” and “Vetus Ordo” rather than the rough sequence of the prayers. :slight_smile:

Even so, the differences are not a different as people might have otherwise believed (especially if Eucharistic Prayer 1 is during mass!)

Most people wouldn’t probably know or tell the difference between a Latin OF and an EF.

Right, assuming the music is Gregorian chant and music is, in fact, used, ie so that the priest doesn’t have the option of praying the Offertory prayers aloud in the OF. In such a case, it would be virtually the same parts, just different rubrical actions, and even then, only a few would notice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.