Orders Not In Communion with Roman Catholic Church

I hadn't realised before that not all nuns (who aren't Anglicans/Episcopalian/from other churches) who call themselves "Catholic" aren't in communion with Rome and the current Pope.

How many orders are like this and is there like an official list somewhere? I was really surprised. You wouldn't think young women would want to be nuns if they weren't "proper" Catholics, would you?

As long as they are not schismatic they are proper Catholics even when not in so called full communion. Nuns and monks are not priest they do not really need this bureaucracy.

[quote="Andre1000, post:2, topic:301844"]
As long as they are not schismatic they are proper Catholics even when not in so called full communion. Nuns and monks are not priest they do not really need this bureaucracy.

[/quote]

What do you mean? Aren't "schismatic" and "not in so called full communion" the same thing? And what do you mean "Nuns and monks are not priest they do not really need this bureaucracy?" The Church is just a bureaucracy? Some monks are, in fact, priests, and thus would receive faculties from the local bishop to celebrate the sacraments. Your statement puzzles me; could you please clarify?

-ACEGC

:popcorn:

[/quote]

So you think the whole Roman Catholic Church is nothing but a bureaucracy? I think Catholics would say it was more than that! And surely to be not in communion with Rome is to be schismatic anyway?

[/quote]

Be very careful how you use the " S " word. In some forums it will get you into deep you know what. :eek:

Beware the " S " word. Not politically correct. Some get highly incensed at its use. And I can understand that position. :shrug:

Hey folks, use of the " S " word may get you thrown off some forums. Other derogetory terms should be avoided as well. Find a way to talk around them. We all know the difference between truth and fiction but some people don't like to have it thrown in their face. Put yourself in their shoes, would you like it? You would feel insulted right, and rightly so. We all know where the truth is but not everyone else does but with patience they might learn.

Apologies, as a non-Catholic I didn’t realise I shouldn’t use that word.

But my original questions still stand:

How many orders are not in communion with Rome and is there like an official list somewhere? I was really surprised. You wouldn’t think young women would want to be nuns if they weren’t in communion with Rome, would you?

[quote="miyuki, post:9, topic:301844"]
Apologies, as a non-Catholic I didn't realise I shouldn't use that word.

But my original questions still stand:

How many orders are not in communion with Rome and is there like an official list somewhere? I was really surprised. You wouldn't think young women would want to be nuns if they weren't in communion with Rome, would you?

[/quote]

There is no list that I am aware of that shows what communities are not in communion with Rome.

This requires that the inquirer do a little home work to determine such.

As for joining a community not in communion with Rome. The discernment of joining a community requires that one discern if they feel a call to join that community. The community then acknowledges this by actually calling the individual forward for vows.

For me community with Rome was a must. There are those who do not think this is important and feel drawn to these sorts of communities. If they didn't they would not exist.

It is not some shell game where they trick you into it. Discernment is a long and involved process.

Discernment is a long and involved process.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.