Orders who work with inner city youth

Hey everyone I am looking for an order that works with inner city youth. I am looking in particular for orders who still wear the habit and the veil. Any help is wonderful! :) Thanks!

[quote="schulze43, post:1, topic:259632"]
Hey everyone I am looking for an order that works with inner city youth. I am looking in particular for orders who still wear the habit and the veil. Any help is wonderful! :) Thanks!

[/quote]

Franciscans For the Renewal.

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:2, topic:259632"]
Franciscans For the Renewal.

[/quote]

LOL, I was going to say the same. ;)

Schulze43, I don't know if you are a girl or guy, so I'm going to post orders for each group. :)

Women's Communities

Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal

Corpus Christi Carmelites

Daughters of Divine Zeal

Salesian Sisters of St. John Bosco

Daughters of St. Mary of Providence (Guanellians)

Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows

Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Infant Jesus

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province)

Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart

Franciscan Daughters of Mary

Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception

Missionaries of Charity

Missionary Sisters of the Holy Family

Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate

Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows

Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Sisters of the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity

Lovers of the Holy Cross

Men's Communities

Salesians of St. John Bosco

Franciscan Friars of the Renewal

Servants of Charity (Guanellians)

I am a girl lol:) thank you so much for your help! I will definitely be checking into these orders!!!:slight_smile: God bless you!

[quote="schulze43, post:4, topic:259632"]
I am a girl lol:) thank you so much for your help! I will definitely be checking into these orders!!!:) God bless you!

[/quote]

You're welcome! I love helping people find orders that they feel an attraction to. I'll be doing some more research as there are numerous sources that I haven't searched through yet, so check back. :)

Here's another community that I didn't list (I don't know why I didn't think of them!):

Franciscans of the Eucharist

They were started by a Franciscan Friar of the Renewal (Fr. Bob) in Chicago and they teach the poor in inner cities. They also have food pantries, evangelization, youth retreats, etc. I learned about them through another discerner on Phatmass.com (you should come there as the Vocation forum is MUCH more active).

I should also mention that I discerned with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province) and applied to join in 2009, but my personal circumstances helped me discern that I was not called to their apostolate (I don't feel called to work with inner city/troubled youth). It might be just what you are looking for, though. They are a BEAUTIFUL order, which is why I was so attracted to them.

I also discerned with the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in 2010, but, again, my personal circumstances do not allow me to be considered a candidate (I have to be on medication for the rest of my life, most likely; they cannot afford to pay for meds). I would join them in a heartbeat, though, if I were able. :)

[quote="schulze43, post:4, topic:259632"]
I am a girl lol:) thank you so much for your help! I will definitely be checking into these orders!!!:) God bless you!

[/quote]

After doing even more research, I discovered these orders to add to your list:

Carmelite Sisters of St. Therese of the Infant Jesus

Servants of the Lord and Virgin of Matara

Society of St. Teresa of Jesus

are the Franciscans of the Eucharist at Our Lady of Angels church?

Thank you so much for your help!!! There are so many orders out there that it is hard to be able to pick on, but that is what prayer is for:) I am so blessed this year to be in a volunteer program in St Louis and I am actually living in an old convent an we have a chapel where Jesus in reserved in the Holy Eucharist, so I am using this year as a very long retreat in a sense:)

The Marist Brothers or the Sisters of Life! And also the Franciscans, of course.They’re all big in NYC

[quote="schulze43, post:8, topic:259632"]
are the Franciscans of the Eucharist at Our Lady of Angels church?

Thank you so much for your help!!!! There are so many orders out there that it is hard to be able to pick on, but that is what prayer is for:) I am so blessed this year to be in a volunteer program in St Louis and I am actually living in an old convent an we have a chapel where Jesus in reserved in the Holy Eucharist, so I am using this year as a very long retreat in a sense:)

[/quote]

Yes, they're at Mission of Our Lady of Angels in Chicago. It's in the inner city. I hear they are a wonderful order! Fr. Bob or Sr. Alicia are the point of contacts. All the information is on their website.

That is wonderful about living in an old convent with Jesus in the Eucharist. That is one of the most beautiful things about religious life is that you are living close to the Blessed Sacrament at all times. So romantic and humbling. :blush:

What a small world! I actually was there at their convent about 3 years ago and met Father Bob and two of the sisters. I totally forgot about them though! I will for sure check them out!:) Thanks so much for your help!:)

[quote="schulze43, post:11, topic:259632"]
What a small world! I actually was there at their convent about 3 years ago and met Father Bob and two of the sisters. I totally forgot about them though! I will for sure check them out!:) Thanks so much for your help!:)

[/quote]

Whoa! Totally awesome! Blessings to you and you are most welcome. :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.