ordinary time

Ordinary time is just tye time of year where we’re not in lent or some other special time right?

I believe ordinary time encompasses all Sundays which were formerly Sundays after Epiphany and Sundays after Pentecost. Lent, Easter, Advent seasons are still observed.

According to my pastor, Ordinary here does not mean “normal or usual” or “not very impressive” (these are among the definitions in the dictionary). Rather it means ordered as in Ordinal Numbers.

Cardinal numbers count the quantity; one, two, three, and so on.

Ordinal numbers count the order: first, second, third, and so on.

I noticed that the Sundays of Ordinary time are numbered in this way. Last Sunday was the Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Wow! This question has been around for a while:
CAF 10 years ago and counting: “ordinary time”
In that thread there are some good, informative replies.

In Latin, Ordinary Time is simply Tempus per Annum (time during the year).

Ordinary Time has nothing to do with “ordinariness”. In fact it’s quite a remarkable time of the year, probably my favourite season. It’s almost the “metronome” of the liturgical year; a regular counting of weeks, during which there is a steady parade of saints and other celebrations. There are no restrictions on celebrating memorials in OT, unlike during Lent or the last week of Advent.

In between the saints, there are austere days to contrast the feasts (a feast is no longer a feast if there are no non-feast days in contrast), and each Sunday is a repeat of the Paschal Mystery. Nothing “ordinary” at all about Ordinary Time!

Bonus points to [user]Beryllos[/user] and [user]OraLabora[/user], for knowing the derivation of the name Ordinary Time. :thumbsup:

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.