Ordination is unBiblical?

Hi everyone. On another forum I visit, some people are arguing that ordination is unBiblical. Can you please provide me with some scripture references and other advice in how to defeat this argument? I searched online for some good articles but wasn’t able to find anything that was of much help. Please help! :o :shrug:

Ordination appears in Scripture as the “laying on of hands,” which can be used to confer gifts of the Spirit (as in Confirmation) and authority. Paul mentions this frequently in his letters to Timothy.

Two good examples from Acts are in Acts 6, where the Apostles ordain deacons who have the authority to undertake a certain ministry, and Acts 13, where Barnabas and Saul are to be set apart for the Lord’s work (Acts 13:2) and have hands laid upon them before being sent off (Acts 13:3).

The latter text is especially nice because it makes clear that God called Barnabas and Saul to a separate ministerial priesthood. If there were only a “priesthood of all believers,” they wouldn’t have been distinguished from the rest of the prophets and teachers of Antioch (Acts 13:1).

Others will undoubtedly have more. As I recall, there are also analogical arguments to be made from the Old Testament orders of priests (high priests, priests, Levites, and laity) to the Church’s order (bishops, priests, deacons, and laity), but I don’t know the details well enough to help out in this area.

In addition to the verses already provided, there’s a reference to the ‘‘laying on of hands’’ in either 1 Tim, 2 Tim or Titus.

Gary

And when they had ordained to them priests in every church… (Acts 14:22 DRV)
And when they had ordained them elders in every church… (Acts 14:23 KJV)

for this cause I left thee in Crete, that thou shouldst set in order the things that are wanting, and shouldst ordain priests in every city, as I also appointed thee. (Titus 1:5 DRV)
[size=2]For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee. (Titus 1:5 KJV)
[/size]

1 Tim 5:22

Holly, give this article a try:

bringyou.to/apologetics/a31.htm

One more text from Jimmy Akin. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks everyone! I invited the people in that forum to come and look at this thread and to also participate in it. :slight_smile: Maybe they’ll learn the truth that ordination is fully Biblical!

The biblical texts have already been given so I won’t dwell on those. I just want to add that the early church believed in ordination, and the only thing that can be wrong about ordination, are the views of the later cults and heretics who deny its divine power.

Clement of Rome

*Our Apostles knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be strife for the office of bishop. For this reason, therefore, having received perfect foreknowledge, they appointed those who have already been mentioned, and afterwards added the further provision that, if they should die, other approved men should succeed to their ministry (Letter to the Corinthians 44:1 [A.D. 95]). *

Clement of Alexandria

After the death of the tyrant, the [Apostle John] came back again to Ephesus from the Island of Patmos; and, upon being invited, he went even to the neighboring cities of the pagans, here to appoint bishops, there to set in order whole Churches, and there to ordain to the clerical estate such as were designated by the Spirit (Who is the Rich Man that is Saved? 42:2 [inter 190-210 A.D.]).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.