Ordination of priests

When they are ordained , from where , what , or whom , do Catholic Priests receive their ability , to perform sacraments , and such ? .

1 Like

From God, through the Church.

The Catechism has a wonderful article at Section 2, Chapter 3, Article 6

6 Likes

Start by reading Article V, “. . . it is for the bishops as the successors of the apostles to hand on ‘the gift of the spirit’.”

3 Likes

From their local ordinary.

1 Like

That is their FACULTY to do so, which is different from the ABILITY to do so. The ability comes from the idelible mark of Holy Orders, given at Ordination.

A priest without faculties generally has the ABILITY to Confect the Eucharist, but is not legally able to attempt it.

Absolution is an act of the Church, and that DOES require faculties to forgive sin.

1 Like

It is actually amazing! Priest in there formation practice mock sacraments. Fellow seminarians are encourage to ask them to hear their confession, for example. The normal response is yes but you know I am shooting blanks! After ordination at a reception people will line up to receive a blessing from the newly ordained priest. One such priest remarked look at all these people. Where did they all come from. His friend reminded him that he is no longer shooting blanks!
All the sacraments are invisible; it is our faith that makes them real. Faith is a gift from God. He will give it to all who ask for it.

1 Like

The Holy Spirit!! Do I win a prize?

2 Likes

The Holy Spirit!

Best prize there is!

3 Likes

In a direct line from God to St. Peter to the Popes through the years down to their Bishops of today. But ultimately it all comes from God. NO MAN could Consecrate the bread and wine into Jesus’ Body Blood Soul Divinity, absolve people of their sins, prepare ones soul to enter into God’s presence at death, say Mass, etc. on his own. God grants each Priest special Graces, Gifts, Abilities ONLY through Ordination in the Catholic Church so that the Priest can be in Persona Christi (in the person of Christ). That’s why we need to pray for and help our Priest in any way possible because without them as Catholics we’d be SUNK! They, through God’s Grace, make Heaven possible for us. After God a Priest is everything.

3 Likes

I see . If God grants each Priest special Graces , would he be able to take them back ? .

1 Like

It would be contrary to the nature of God to do so. God desires to give Grace to all those who are disposed to receive it. Humans may reject such Grace, but God continues to offer it.

4 Likes

Actually once a Priest is ordained he is a Priest forever even though he were to leave the Priesthood (I know of 3 who have). IN emergencies ONLY if there is a possibility of death and no other way to get a Priest the laicized Priest can hear someone’s Confession, give them last rites (no sure about saying Mass without the Bishop’s permission). Would have to ask one of the Priest here. Those whose “faculties have been removed” now that I am not sure of. Like I said you’d have to ask one of the Priests here. That’s why the Priesthood is such an important call from God and answer from any man. It’s one they should take for life and take seriously for the sake of their soul.

1 Like

www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/vocations/priesthood/priestly-formation/faqs-priesthood-ordination-seminary.cfm

http://www.religionfacts.com/catholicism/ordination

1 Like

The Sacrament of Holy Orders leaves an indelible mark on the soul of the priest. It cannot be removed. The same goes with the indelible marks of Baptism and Confirmation.

2 Likes

Able? Yes - God remains able to do anything and everything.

Likely to do so? No. We don’t believe that.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t God be able to have some influence over the actions and free will of an ordained Priest ? .

1 Like

If you haven’t been to the ordinations of a deacon and priest then do so.

During the Mass with the Blessing of the Oils in Holy week (usually Thursday but could be earlier if the priests in the diocese have to travel a long distance to the cathedral), you will see that the priests of the diocese renew their promises and take an active part in the blessing of the oils together with their bishop.

2 Likes

God gives us ALL free will whether we are ordained or not because he doesn’t want robots as His children. He wants us to choose Him out of love not out of force.

But remember to those that have been given more , MORE is required of them. Priests offer up and Sacrifice a LOT DAILY, things some of us will never know. They KNOW that because God has called them to serve in His Church & they answered that call they will have an even greater life to answer for than the average Catholic.

2 Likes

I give you credit for believing in that , and I give credit to the Priests who abide by that as well . I would think that Priests are regarded as being closer to God than a lay person . It is beyond my belief , that an ordained Priest , could be a child molester ( rapist ) . I guess my belief was wrong .

We, too, are shocked and apalled when this behavior occurs. It is sad, heartbreaking, and we know that it is a truly serious offense to humanity and to God. We don’t necessarily believe that a priest is closer to God than the rest of humanity, so much as we believe that he has the opportunity to be if he so chooses if he lives out his vocation. We, as ordinary laypeople have the opportunity to be just as close, but we have not dedicated our lives to that particular calling. We must work instead to grow closer to God in the middle of a secular life. We have been given graces as well, and we can make very serious and grave mistakes, too. It is every human being’s duty, regardless of whether they are ordained or not, to observe the two commandments that were given by Christ himself: to love God above all things, and to love neighbor as self. Any failures to do so by anyone must be reconciled eventually to God.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.