Ordination of Women

With the passing of the Pope, a lot of discussion has surrounded the possibility of the women being ordained. Are there any documents from John Paul II or other Popes or Councils that definitively address the topic??? I am aware of “Ordinatio Sacerdotalis”, but are there any others??? Thank you and God Bless.

Here you go:thumbsup:

Joseph Card. Ratzinger, “Reply to the dubium Concerning the teaching contained in the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis,”

Quote:
"…that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women… This teaching requires definitive assent, since, founded on the written Word of God, and from the beginning constantly preserved and applied in the Tradition of the Church., it has been set forth infallibly by the ordinary and universal Magisterium…Thus, in the present circumstances, the Roman Pontiff, exercising his proper office of confirming the brethren (cf. Luke 22:32), has handed on this same teaching by a formal declaration, explicitly stating what is to be held always, everywhere, and by all, as belonging to the deposit of the faith."

Inter Insigniores, Pope Paul VI,

papalencyclicals.net/Paul06/p6interi.htm

Mulieris Dignitatem, Pope John Paul II,

priestsforlife.org/magisterium/papal/88-08-15dignityvocationofwomen.htm

“‘Only a baptized man (vir) validly receives sacred ordination.’ The Lord Jesus chose men (viri) to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. The college of bishops, with whom the priests are united in the priesthood, makes the college of the twelve an ever-present and ever-active reality until Christ’s return. The Church recognizes herself to be bound by this choice made by the Lord himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.”

[RIGHT]—Catechism of the Catholic Church 1577[/RIGHT]

I recall the following sources, however be sure to look them up.

1. Vatican Counil I (I don’t recall which document).

2. Also on EWTN Father Benidict Groeschel mentioned that one of the early councils (I did not catch which one, but I believe it was either the Council of Ephesis 431 or possibly the first council of Nicea).

3. Also check the documents of Vatican II.

4. The book Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Dr. Ludwig Ott may give references too.

5. I would look into the documents of the Council of Trent too.

Why do some women even want to be ordained? Why do some men want women ordained? Is it a matter of pride or do they feel it is what Christ truly wants? I don’t understand how it can even be disputable with the heavy weight of all three Church authorities: Scripture, Tradition, and the Magisterium all definitively judging against it. It really bothers me that this makes some people so unhappy, like the Church is denying women what should rightfully be theirs. The fact that some women so strongly desire ordination confuses me. We need to recapture our properly innate gender identites, the different gifts God has given to men and women and the respective roles He wishes us to assume in the cooperative efforts toward our full, true, unified expression of the divine image. This expression must subsist most purely in Holy Mother Church, the Bride of Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.