Oregon bakery owners pay more than $135G in damages over refusal to make cake for gay wedding

The owners of an Oregon bakery who denied service to a same-sex couple have paid more than $135,000 in state-ordered damages – months after refusing to do so – according to state officials Monday.

Aaron Klein, co-owner of Sweet Cakes, by Melissa, dropped a check off for $136,927.07, according to the Bureau of Labor and Industries. The payment includes interest. Klein also paid $7,000 earlier this month.

Damages were award in July for emotional suffering caused by the bakery which refused to make a wedding cake for Laurel and Rachel Bowman-Cryer more than two years ago. The bakers said they refused to make the cake because of their religious beliefs.

foxnews.com/us/2015/12/29/oregon-bakery-owners-pay-more-than-135g-in-damages-over-refusal-to-make-cake-for-gay-wedding.html

As of September it was reported that “Aaron and Melissa Klein have raised $500,000 in crowdfunding.”

wweek.com/2015/09/29/sweet-cakes-by-melissa-owners-defying-order-to-pay-135000-to-lesbian-couple-they-wouldnt-bake-a-wedding-cake/

They raised $500k in crowdfunding, so they didn’t make out too bad. Also, people tend to forget that the level of the fine against the bakery was actually for publishing on the Internet the complete contact information for the lesbians they declined to make a cake for, who were then subsequently harassed.

what blows my mind in this case is…why in the world.this people have not taken this case to the Courts?? This is Administrative and has never been to the judiciary! Why they are paying an.administrative order instead of getting a lawyer and.take it to the judiciary!! These people don’t need fund raisers what these people need is someone to tell them that they have to sue. And this is one.of the reasons why many times the anti life movement is ahead of us because they are activist who don’t give up until.they get the desired result, while the attitude of most people on our side is just cross their arms and not.do.too.much.

No, the Oregon bakers weren’t fined for publishing the complainant’s home address, or for otherwise publicizing the complaint against them

washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/07/10/no-the-oregon-bakers-werent-fined-for-publishing-the-complainants-home-address-or-for-otherwise-publicizing-the-complaint-against-them/

To claim $135,000, the couple submitted a list of mental, physical and emotional damages inflicted by the Kleins’ action.

As The Daily Signal previously reported, some of those symptoms include, “acute loss of confidence,” “doubt,” “excessive sleep,” “felt mentally raped, dirty and shameful,” “high blood pressure,” “impaired digestion,” “loss of appetite,” “migraine headaches,” “pale and sick at home after work,” “resumption of smoking habit,” “surprise,” “weight gain” and “worry.”

“There was no expert testimony at the hearing,” Harmon said. “The witnesses at the hearing were the two women who were requesting a cake, one of their mothers, one of their brothers and another family member. There was no doctor, there was no psychologist, no expert testimony at all.”

dailysignal.com/2015/04/27/exclusive-bakers-facing-135k-fine-over-wedding-cake-for-same-sex-couple-speak-out/

My emphases.

I don’t know if they knew how much they could get financially, but was there a letter from a doctor or medical professional affirming the claimed symptoms, providing evidence of medication taken or other information?

I stand corrected. I had not realized the commissioner’s finding and agency’s finding were different. Regardless, it’s a not nice thing to post the personal contact information of someone who filed a discrimination complaint against you – dare I say unchristian?

(really, we’re auto-censoring a non-explicit synonym for poop on here now?)

This is what Mr Klein said regarding the address:

The address issue was briefly mentioned during the case, with Aaron Klein telling TheBlaze on Sunday that he did post a copy of the official complaint waged against Sweetcakes by Melissa on his Facebook page in February 2013 — an act that Rachel Cryer-Bowman and Laurel Bowman-Cryer reportedly pushed back against.

At the time, Klein said that he didn’t realize that the complaint — which was filed by the couple — included the women’s address.

“I received that in the mail — the complaint from – again this is a public complaint, even in the ruling it is a matter of public record,” he said. “My Facebook account was only a month and a half old at a time.”

Klein said that he uploaded the document as a knee-jerk reaction to his Facebook page, where he said that he had only a few friends at the time, writing an accompanying message akin to, “Here’s what happens when you decline a cake for a same-sex wedding.”

“I did not even realize the address [and] phone number was on there,” he said. “I got it around noon, I put it on my Facebook page around two, Facebook got a complaint from [the couple’s attorney] and [Facebook] pulled it down before five. They pulled my page down.”

Klein said that he quickly apologized over the issue, and that the original posting of the complaint was removed just hours after he uploaded the document. He wrote a Facebook post on February 2, 2013 that read, “I was just notified that the [complainants’] info was on the document I posted. Totally didn’t think about that, was a mistake and I apologize. I hope nobody used it for anything bad.”

While he said that publishing the address as part of the complaint was unintended, Klein claims that a supporter of Rachel Cryer-Bowman and Laurel Bowman-Cryer subsequently intentionally posted his home address and phone number along with a message that read, “Let’s hope this is the right info, and let’s get it out there like they Laurels [sic].”

theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/13/fact-check-theres-a-false-accusation-circulating-on-social-media-about-the-christian-bakers-who-declined-to-make-a-gay-wedding-cake-and-were-fined-135000/

This is so sad. Truly religious freedom and freedom of conscience are going out the window in our nation. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the day when simply speaking against “gay marriage” is illegal.

While I do think the fine was excessive and over the top, I find it hard to believe Mr. Klein “didn’t realize their personal info was included in what he posted to Facebook”. He knew exactly what he was doing.

To claim $135,000, the couple submitted a list of mental, physical and emotional damages inflicted by the Kleins’ action.

As The Daily Signal previously reported, some of those symptoms include, “acute loss of confidence,” “doubt,” “excessive sleep,” “felt mentally raped, dirty and shameful,” “high blood pressure,” “impaired digestion,” “loss of appetite,” “migraine headaches,” “pale and sick at home after work,” “resumption of smoking habit,” “surprise,” “weight gain” and “worry.”

“There was no expert testimony at the hearing,” Harmon said. “The witnesses at the hearing were the two women who were requesting a cake, one of their mothers, one of their brothers and another family member. There was no doctor, there was no psychologist, no expert testimony at all.”

No doubt, the lack of cake in their lives has impaired their ability to conceive as well.

What law would have been violated if the defendant posted a copy of the plaintiff’s civil complaint online?

Let’s also not forget that Brad Avakian of the Oregon labor commission is the one who imposed this fine. He is a gay activist. The Klein’s attorney’s asked for his removal on account of conflict of interest and cited multiple facebook posts and Avakian’s other incidents of public gay activism for a number of years prior to this case. See the source material here and keyword down to where it starts “MOTION TO DISQUALIFY BOLI COMMISSIONER AVAKIAN”

I’d certainly be careful here in the UK about making my views on it known. Our local housing authority had a case of a manager who expressed his views in a thoughtful and rational way on facebook and found himself with no job. He didn’t use any slurs, didn’t suggest anyone be hurt, he simply repeated Catholic teaching and pointed out that he believe homosexuality was morally disordered but that gay people had every right to be employed in any job they could do as much as any one else and that he was not wholly opposed to civil unions as he viewed them in a different light to marriage. Cue him been carpeted and sacked and him having to get a trade union to fight on his behalf to get his job back. He did get his job back and then the local council tried to fine him for bringing them into disrepute and cut his wage and he had to get the trade union involved again. So this guy spent a year of misery for a couple of comments on Facebook which is why i never talk about anything besides recipes, movies or cafes and the like on that thing and use it far less than my wife. Saying you opposed gay marriage made you an outcast in my last job, you were considered virtually akin to a Nazi and when my boss said he would have voted against it there was a referendum in the UK he was given a lecture by fresh out of college kids about his ‘reactionary tendencies’.

That’s just ridiculous. There really is no more free speech anymore. I bet if the guy had been a minority they would have backed off.

Thankfully, though, I don’t think this PC nonsense will forever, certainly not as long as the activists hope. For one, they aren’t willing to defend their own turf against certain groups, and I’m not sure they could either given their stances are so absurd and unstable.

We will probably live though the start of the worst of it, but this can’t hold up for long.

I’ve heard that he colluded with gay rights groups over this. Sounds like scandal and corruption at its finest.

I just stayed out of it. My boss did also normally but I think he got tired of them that day as he preceived them as ‘silver spoon’ kids living off daddy’s money and who had gone through university on that cash and who were now lecturing him about his views been typical of the British working class (no prejudice there hey chaps…), they got really irked when he started laughing at them eventually and told them to come back when they knew a thing or two about life. His reply was essentially ultimately, ‘Who you have sex with is your business but I don’t really need to know about it thank you’. Expect he worded it in a more earthy manner.

The younger employees found me awkward to argue with because although I am blue collar in origin unlike my boss I don’t sound it and they expected given my interest and tastes in music and books etc. that I would side with them and were surprised when I didn’t fit into that pigeonhole. They also disliked arguing these kind of matters with me because when they resorted to emotion or getting hot tempered I would just say ‘We are at work this is not the appropriate place for this conversation’ and drop it. A couple of them tried to get me to argue the point a few times deliberately as two or three people had shall we say real issues with convincing us all of the greatness of gay marriage. One of the best ones was where some young girl started arguing with me and because I lack tertiary education started saying I therefore had nothing to contribute to the debate. I nearly died laughing and she could not understand why. I usually deliberately however avoid all political and religious chat at work even where I know people as Britain has become a minefield for that at work and I suspect the US is similar.

There was a bakery in northern Ireland where the owners of the chain are well known Christians were they tried to get them to bake cakes with the words’ Q***rspace’ on it for a gay advocacy group. Obviously the bakery refused. Of course there are obviously no other bakeries in any part of Ireland either north or south they could ask to bake the cake…

He did. And yes it is.
:nope:

Didn’t this couple end up raising somewhere around $500,000?

They are over $300,000 wealthier today than they were before they were sued, and that’s AFTER paying the fine. They ended up with more money than the lesbian couple.

I’m having a very hard time seeing them as victims.

Post 2 or so shows them to be in the black, but only if there are no court costs more significant than $ 365K.

Christian belief is the victim here. It is no longer legal to act according to your beliefs when making a cake in America.

Wait!

Its not over 'til its over. The Kleins are still appealing, but paid the fine and interest to keep further interest from accruing.

“Tyler Smith, a Canby attorney representing the Kleins, said payment of the debt does not mean his clients have abandoned their appeal of Avakian’s order. The Oregon Court of Appeals is likely to hear arguments next year but Smith said it made sense to pay now while the case is pending rather than incur additional interest charges.”
oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2015/12/sweet_cakes_owners_pay_damages.html#incart_story_package

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.