Oregon girl told she can't sell mistletoe, but can beg for money

Fox News:

Oregon girl told she can't sell mistletoe, but can beg for money

An 11-year-old girl from Portland, Ore. has been told that she can't sell mistletoe to help defray the cost of braces, but she can beg for the money on the city's streets. According to KATU-TVhttp://global.fncstatic.com/static/v/all/img/external-link.png, Madison Root and her father were selling bags of the hand-cut, hand-wrapped Christmas favorite Saturday morning next to the Skidmore Fountain in downtown Portland, where the city holds a weekly market. Everything was going well until a security guard told her that she had to stop selling due to a city ordinance that bans such activity in a park "except as expressly permitted under the terms of a lease, concession or permit."

The guard then told Madison that she could sell her mistletoe outside the boundaries of the park where the fountain and the market are located, away from the crowds, or she could simply ask for donations to cover the cost of her braces.
"I don't want to beg! I would rather work for something than beg," Madison told KATU reporter Dan Cassuto. "It's crazy. People can get money for pot. But I can't get money for braces. I'm working for this! They're just sitting down on their butts all day asking for pot."

A Portland Parks Bureau spokesman told the station that begging is a form of free speech and is protected by the First Amendment.
One market vendor told the station that she wished an exception to the ordinance could be made for children.

:confused: :( :mad:

[quote="didymus, post:1, topic:347095"]
Fox News:

:confused: :( :mad:

[/quote]

From what I read in your post, she can't sell anything in the park, so I don't get the headline of the article.

Simple solution. Give away the mistletoe and request a suggested donation.

This is done quite often to get around the "selling without a license" issue.

I agree, if it's a law then it's a law. It is unfortunate for this girl but she could try going door to door selling or ask a grocery store if she could sell it at the front door or something. If a permit is required then she'll either have to get one (which I'm sure is costly) or go somewhere else.

The city requires a permit otherwise if they let her do it then everyone will demand the same treatment. Portland has a huge in your face homeless problem. However, according to the local news she has received over $1,000 in donations. :thumbsup:

Its sad what society has become these days, when a kid cant sell things without a license? LOL there was a time when police and others would just look the other way for the greater good, after all, shes not selling drugs, but not in todays world!!

They should have made the security guards name public or show him on camera telling her this and see how long he stays in town!

That’s the US government. God forbid you actually engage in economic activity to earn the money to buy yourself braces, you need to beg for that money. What a crock.

The point is that the law encourages people to beg rather than work for money. It encourages people to stay down in a cycle of poverty, and jobs are scarce.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:8, topic:347095"]
The point is that the law encourages people to beg rather than work for money. It encourages people to stay down in a cycle of poverty, and jobs are scarce.

[/quote]

Not really. The girl could have simply walked across the street to sell her product. Instead we have an article with a misleading title framing the issue as if getting a permit or begging were the only options.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:9, topic:347095"]
Not really. The girl could have simply walked across the street to sell her product.

[/quote]

Where did you get that from?

Second paragraph. “The guard then told Madison that she could sell her mistletoe outside the boundaries of the park where the fountain and the market are located…”

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:11, topic:347095"]
Second paragraph. "The guard then told Madison that she could sell her mistletoe outside the boundaries of the park where the fountain and the market are located..."

[/quote]

Yes. Outside the boundaries, and "away from the crowds" where she need not be seen. Why did you leave that part out?

[quote="livingwordunity, post:12, topic:347095"]
Yes. Outside and "away from the crowds" where she need not worry about anyone seeing her. Why did you leave that part out?

[/quote]

Because its irrelevant. No business is entitled to a location with heavy foot traffic. Its her responsibility to draw the crowd.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:13, topic:347095"]
Because its irrelevant. No business is entitled to a location with heavy foot traffic.

[/quote]

Customers are irrelevant to sales? :confused:

[quote="livingwordunity, post:14, topic:347095"]
Customers are irrelevant to sales? :confused:

[/quote]

As I said, its her responsibility to draw a crowd; not the responsibility of the city.

How can she draw a crowd by avoiding the crowd? :confused:

[quote="livingwordunity, post:16, topic:347095"]
How can she draw a crowd by avoiding the crowd? :confused:

[/quote]

How does any business draw in customers?

As the saying goes in real estate about what’s most important, “location, location, location”. It’s the same for a business. We can’t expect a government bureaucracy to know anything about business.

Amazing that all the other businesses in downtown Portland manage to survive. :rolleyes:

All the businesses, as in no business has ever failed there? Okay, you are being sarcastic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.