Oregon Politician Jonathan Lopez Admits Sending Himself Racist Homophobic Hate Mail And Violating Stolen Valor Act

Umatilla County commissioner candidate Jonathan Lopez admitted this week he faked the hate mail he posted on his facebook page.

Lopez posted the hateful letter filled with racist, homophobic and misogynist slurs.

Chief Jason Edmiston tells KEPR-TV News that the criminal investigation for second-degree intimidation due to the racist, hate-filled letter received by Jonathan Lopez on June 23 has been closed. The matter will be referred this week to the Umatilla County District Attorney’s Office for initiating a false report – a Class A misdemeanor in Oreg

Another day, another man tries this. Not only do they not get this this is unwise but it is also a criminal act. I just don’t get this, do they not think people will question things. It was referred for a criminal investigation

1 Like

Sock-puppetry is as old as time…

1 Like

This is way pass sock puppetry. The guy creates an account, sends himself hate-filled racist homophobic posts and claims he is being attacked.

They investigate. Does he not realize they might figure out he is sending the posts?
All he gets slapped with is a misdemeanor for falsifying information. The guy should be booted out.

1 Like

I thought that law was declared unconstitutional in 2012?

Which law?

I’m sure lots of people don’t expect their fake accounts to be linked to them.

The Ninth Circuit held that the Act is invalid under the First Amendment. The Supreme Court affirmed. Characterizing the law as a content-based restriction on protected speech, the Court applied the “most exacting scrutiny.” Falsity alone does not take speech outside the First Amendment. While the government’s interest in protecting the integrity of the Medal of Honor is beyond question, the First Amendment requires a direct causal link between the restriction imposed and the injury to be prevented; that link was not established. The government had no evidence that the public’s general perception of military awards is diluted by false claims or that counter-speech, such as the ridicule Alvarez received online and in the press, would not suffice to achieve its interest. The law does not represent the “least restrictive means among available, effective alternatives.” The government could likely protect the integrity of the military awards system by creating a database of Medal winners accessible and searchable. Dissenting Justices Alito, Scalia, and Thomas viewed the Act as significantly limited and necessary to the important governmental objective.

There was some new form of the act made later. I don’t know it’s contents.

Stolen valor act.

Found the updated version.

You linked a thread about Roger Stone. Lopez send himself bogus threats

President Obama on Monday signed into law the latest version of the Stolen Valor Act, which makes it a federal crime for people to pass themselves off as war heroes by wearing medals they didn’t rightfully earn.

The legislation passed both houses of Congress with overwhelming majorities.

An earlier version, passed in 2005, was struck down in June 2012 when the Supreme Court ruled that lying about military heroics was constitutionally protected speech unless there was intent to gain some benefit or something of value by fraud.

The law signed Monday at the White House includes such a provision, making it illegal to make the claims with the intent to obtain money, property or other tangible benefits.

So once the courts struck it-down - clarified it, President Obama made it law.

Would seeking public office not qualify?

I did. And the similarity that I called out was fake accounts being linked back to a real person along with the apparent expectation that the accounts would not be linked back to the person.

Once the courts found the first version to violate the First Amendment they made a new law that was in compliance with the First Amendment.

Roger Stone was not indicted for that. Lopez is getting a slap on the wrist.

Does running for office qualify as monetary gain?

You’d have to check if that has been tested by the courts.

I don’t think he sent the fake “Hate mail” electronically - but he placed it in his own mail box

An Oregon politician admitted to writing a racist and homophobic letter to himself after previously claiming it was left anonymously in his mail box.

They should have known when the letters began with “Dear Jonathan Lopez” and ended with “Your friend, Jonathan Lopez”

2 Likes

I actually think these bogus hate crimes are in truth real hate crimes … and should be prosecuted as such

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.