Oregon School bans Pledge of Allegiance, not to Offend Muslims

Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Oregon School bans Pledge of Allegiance, not to Offend Muslims

One dhimmi elementary school principal in Oregon has banned the Pledge of Allegiance, so as not to offend Muslims. Slowly they chip away at life as we know it.

For the rest…
islaminaction08.blogspot.com/2008/06/oregon-school-bans-pledge-of-allegiance.html

The rights of Christians are quickly being eliminated. :mad:

Link to actual article:

wctv.tv/home/headlines/19760084.html#

Can we ban Oregon?

I say we give California and Oregon to Mexico. :mad:

Nah…give California to Mexico and Oregon to Canada.

Oregon, Washington, New England, SE NY, and NJ to Canada :smiley:

Now wait a minute, the Muslims didn’t call for this, the principal did it. Quoting the article:

"At least one Muslim community leader says he feels the same way. Muhammad Najieb says that ‘God’ is central to the Muslim faith, and there are several references to him in every prayer.

Portland school officials say the principal was trying to be sensitive, but some Muslims say the ban caused hurt feelings, and may foster bitterness and division within the community"

The principal, ignorant of basic theology, stepped beyond his bounds and caused the problem, not the Muslims. Sounds like to me the Principal needs to be instructed in a little basic theology that Muslims believe in the same God as Jews and Christians.

Sorry! The landfills are are FULL—no vacancy!:stuck_out_tongue:

Okay ONE: this is getting [CENSORED] ridiculous…

TWO: Muhammad Najieb and those Muslims opposing the pledge ban. Good on ya…

as a christian i find the pledge of allegiance offensive and unchristian. so i say more power to them! its a shame catholics havent risen up in protest of idolatrous attitudes towards the state.

the question is who do you serve?

It seems the biggest enemy of our faith and values as americans comes from within the public education system. Their positions are often extreme and out of touch. To most of us this is outrageous. I bet if you conducted a poll among teachers and administrators within this system you would find the majority are ok with this.

How do we know that Muslims did not ask for this to be done? EVERYTIME, I see something change to suit them. An Islamic leader comes out to say it should not of been done. But it was done and if they are so against it being done. Why don’t they start a petition to get the Pledge reinstated?

Then don’t say it.

Pledging allegiance and idolatry are not the same thing.

There is a little more information in this article:
oregonlive.com/metroeast/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/metro_east_news/1213248306125110.xml&coll=7

Wilson, a 30-year employee of Portland Public Schools, said she made a mistake in hastily responding to Reese’s e-mail.

In it, she said the pledge contained the words “under God” and that she wanted to be respectful of students and families who believe differently, such as those in the Muslim community. Though the ceremony has included the pledge in the past, Portland Public Schools has no requirement that students must say it at the graduation, district officials said.

Wilson said she shouldn’t have singled out the Muslim community and wasn’t implying by her e-mail that Muslims don’t believe in God.

I don’t think that is necessary. The principal regrets her decision and it was a end of the year ceremony, which is already past. I think it was a one-time incident.

Does anyone get the feeling some people have a need to find something to get outraged about?

Accidents happen. Sometimes smart people do stupid things. I think this was a really stupid move. Her reasoning is worse.
It would have been better, had it inadvertently been left off the program; and for the Principal to say, “I’m so sorry, we forgot, we’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.” but for her to make a dumb excuse makes her look bad and unAmerican.

We don’t change our Country for immigrants who want to come and live here, and I would expect that if I immigrated to Saudi Arabia, they wouldn’t Christianize if for me. A Principal doesn’t have the power to take away our National Pride for the sake of unhappy immigrants, who BTW are accessing our excellent free education system, health care, roads, etc.

How stupid. :mad:

Not in our public school you wouldn’t! We say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning over here, including the phrase “One nation under God.” We also have a moment of silence aka prayer.

In regard to the article, the principal apparently had an idiot moment. Hopefully she learned from her mistake and will take the time to investigate a group’s beliefs before lumping them in with others who do not believe as they do.

I think this principal will end up in regret over this idiotic decision. This article is really about one person pulling a bonehead stunt. Public schools can be one of the most politically sensitve entities because of close local control. If she doesn’t end up fired or transferred, she could easily inccur some other discipline.

I think she needs cultural sensitivity training.

From a local paper:

oregonlive.com/metroeast/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/metro_east_news/1213248306125110.xml&coll=7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.