Organ donation should be more sensitive to the donor?

I have been thinking a lot about organ donation and sometimes I feel like the donor is not considered human. As much as I feel for the sick people waiting for organs, I can’t help thinking that when they celebrate finding an organ the fact is they are celebrating someone’s loss. I think it’s kind of creepy when people hope for an organ, that also comes w/them hoping someone that matches their blood type dies, the donors do not die a natural death and a lot of them are young and have not lived out their life. Also the doctors are excited about the organ and I feel that is insensitive to the donor and their family, they are excited about someone’s loss. I watched a medical show where they had organ procurement clips. The human aspect of the donor is seemingly completely removed as you see the doctors giddy w/excitement of taking their healthy organ from someone declared brain dead and the way they talked about the organ donor in one episode made it seem like the person was just a sack of organs and nothing more. If I were a doctor I wouldn’t act like a child in a candy store because lying on that table no matter that they are brain dead, they are still a human being, someone’s loved one. I would never be able to accept an organ unless a kidney from family, I would also donate a kidney to my family if needed, plus if I did receive an organ, I would be a little more somber for the family. Anyone else feel this way? When I see the families of the recipients, it seems like they don’t even take a second to pray for the families of the donor, they are too busy celebrating the new organ. I’m not saying that everyone acts like that, but I think the attitude should change.

I understand what you mean. I also worry about whether, in donations of vital organs from ‘brain dead’ donors, whether the donor is dead yet. A dead organ does no one any good. Still, I am assured by everyone who knows about it that yes, they really are dead. The question arises whether brain death is real death. I wonder if that question has been answered affirmatively in part because we need those organs.

I don’t care if I’m paranoid, but I do want to donate my organs. I don’t trust the medical community to do the right thing since nowadays people are extremely greedy.

Well, I know that theologians tend to identify death with the giving out of the part of the brain that controls body temperature, which is considerably different from the legal definition of death in America. It is possible to remove vital organs after a person is actually dead, it’s just more difficult, thus the premature definition of death.

Is this organ a Yamaha, a Hammond, a Korg, a Baldwin or some other brand?:rolleyes:

medical shows ‘clip’ and edit…don’t forget that.:shrug:

Ever see the movie “Airplane”? Where this little girl was to get a heart transplant and the doctor had the heart on his desk and it was beating and I think it got away from the doctor who had to chase this heart all over his office in order to catch it?:shrug:

From the perspective of a recipient’s family member…

When my sister was put on the transplant list to receive a liver, I knew that this was the only way she would live. I hoped she would get one before it was too late, knowing that someone had to die for that to happen. I did not, however, hope someone would die. Do you understand the difference? What I was hoping for was if someone should happen to die from a head trauma (most likely way for organ donation to happen), my hope was that they had signed an organ donor card. And that their family would honor that.

My sister did, in fact, receive her liver before it was too late. And it came from a young man who crashed his motorcycle (we believe) without wearing a helmet. My heart broke for his family, but rejoiced for my own because my dear sister would have a chance to live.

I can’t explain better than this, but I hope you understand what I’m trying to say. We still, 12 years later, are very grateful for this profound gift from our unknown donor. May he rest in the peace of Christ for all eternity.

We are right now having a prayer-battle over our son-in-law wanting to buy a motor cycle. We don’t want him to buy a motorbike for this very reason. My daughter is not too wild about it either. She doesn’t relish the concept that he might wipe out with it and leave her to raise 3 little girls by herself.:eek:

Thanks for all responses, I am not saying everyone is insensitive, but the attitude of the doctors was a little strange. I don’t know if they are just used to it, all I know that as someone that wants to be a future doctor idk how I would react.

Sometimes medical personnel who work with such matters quite often may give the impression of being rather matter of fact, but that’s not really the case. They are doing their job. They are glad to be able to provide a good outcome for a patent in need of an organ without being happy for the death of an organ donor. And as IrishRush noted, the same thoughts would apply to the family of an organ recipient.

I think it might be a good ol’ fashioned pipe organ… :wink:

What kind of tobacco is smoked in the PIPE organ?:confused:

You have no idea how much hurt you cause with such sentiments. And you have no idea what mental anguish kidney recipients go through, because clearly your sweeping generalisation proves you have never been through it yourself, and I pray you never do. I am a kidney recipient and spent six years on dialysis. I saw the suffering my fellow patients went through, and I still see them suffer whenever I revisit the dialysis unit. You want to see examples of mortified recipients to satisfy your moral outrage? Well, I’ll tell you. Recipients are mortified EVERY day. And sometimes it hits them like a tidal wave. It hit me last Christmas. I visualised an empty chair at the donor family’s Christmas dinner table. It was as simple as that. I cried like a baby. I didn’t want someone to die so that I could live. But, what choice did I have? Would you rather I remained on dialysis until my body could take no more? Would you be happy that I died perhaps? You think it is creepy that I and my fellow patients hoped for a way out of it? Please, visit a dialysis unit, talk to the people there, see what they have to go through each week, and then see if your self-satisfied judgement of them is sustainable. What a paragon of virtue you are. You are clearly a better person than I because you would only accept a kidney from your family and are happy to accept the death sentence that awaits when that fails to materialise. May God forgive you for such arrogance.

Best wishes,
Padster

Incidentally, the remarks made about electronic/pipe organs in a serious topic such as this are childish, crass and insensitive.

Padster.

Padster,

I think you are being a little severe on the OP. My uncle was practically born on dialysis and had four kidney transplants in his life - two came from anonymous donors, one came from my dad, and one came from my grandpa.

But what the OP is struggling with is not heartless nor self righteous. Until a few years ago, I had never imagined that organ donation could be a touchy subject. But as I began to learn about repsecting life in other ways, I learned that, as other posters have noted, the definition of death is not cut and dry. Therefore, what I had always thought was a noble and fairly natural act (donating organs) becomes more controversial when you realize that there are people making decisions for someone that may end a life that is still going. It’s tough. And I don’t think the OP is wrong to be questioning and re-examining our culture - no one should ever just follow the lead and go with the flow in anything - questioning is good and does not make someone self-righteous.

I am glad you received your kidney. I am glad that certain organs are able to be donated without the death of a person. I always go through mixed feelings of joy and confusion when I hear of someone who received their needed transplant.

With respect, you don’t seem glad I received a kidney, you seem disappointed. You are making baseless assumptions that paint the medical profession as something similar to Burke and Hare. I am not sure what OP means, but the person who started this topic is as heartless as the ‘body-snatching’ doctors he claims are killing people to keep other people like me alive. Have you ANY idea how much that hurts me as a recipient of a kidney from a cadaveric donor? I would have dearly loved to have a living donor, I really would. Well, no, that’s not strictly true. I wish I never had renal failure in the first place. But thats the hand I was dealt, so I had three options: 1. Die, slowly. 2. Grind out a miserable existence on dialysis for the rest of my days, or 3. Accept a kidney from some kind soul who had tragically lost their life. I chose number three. I have enough mental anguish in my life dealing with that without having to put up with morons who suggest that the option I chose is somehow wrong. And it really puts the icing on the cake when other people step in to defend said morons.

Padster

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.