Organ Donor Lists

I normally try to stay off of MT because it can get pretty heated, but I have a topic from another thread that I think would be interesting to discuss in a respectful and charitable manner, so please try to keep that in mind because it is an emotional topic.

There are many patients who need organs and not enough to go around. Should people who have ruined their health by smoking, alcoholism, drug use, obesity, etc. be put on organ waiting lists? If not, would it make a difference if they had given up their vice and turned their lives around? What if they did so 10 years ago and the effects just now caught up to them?

A related issue: Should prisoners be put on organ lists? If not what about a man who served 15 years for child molestation who is now out? Should he receive one while someone currently in prison for 5 years on a drug charge is denied?

To what extent should these factors be considered when it comes to organ transplants?

Your casting a wide net… I’m on the list to be an organ donor for when I fall off my Perch
Plus I’m currently a Donor of Plasma & Platelets … have been for decades…
your asking should everyone have the chance to receive body bits when there own is no longer working… even if they have abused there body… Good Question…
It’s not for us as individuals to judge the morals of who deserves to be helped…
although I think everyone should be helped to prolong a Healthy life… unless they have committed a hideous crime…
And yes if Prisoners have a healthy body and they wish to donate , then they should be allowed providing they pass the same health standards required.

no longer

No no, of course everyone should be allowed to donate. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear, I was asking who should be allowed to receive.

Everyone should be allowed to Receive, unless they committed a Hideous crime…
It gets hard to accept though if a smoker goes back to heavy smoking…

My feeling is that once we start making choices based on so-called merit or worthiness, we run into trouble. Why not also factor in longevity expectancy based on age as well as physical health, or tangible contributions to society? It becomes a slippery slope when we do such things.

I agree. I really can’t wrap my head around the idea of passively letting someone die, even if they are a murderer or smoker.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.