Organ Music

I don't know how to ask this, but I'll just hope you understand.

What is a good accompinament book for hymns? I'm willing to buy a few, in case a certain hymn is not in one book, but I'm sick of my pages flipping mid-hymn, and then ruining my concentration. Something with a wire or plastic binding or a looseleaf binding.

Recommendations?

[quote="LoyalViews, post:1, topic:300302"]
I don't know how to ask this, but I'll just hope you understand.

What is a good accompinament book for hymns? I'm willing to buy a few, in case a certain hymn is not in one book, but I'm sick of my pages flipping mid-hymn, and then ruining my concentration. Something with a wire or plastic binding or a looseleaf binding.

Recommendations?

[/quote]

I haven't seen it yet, but I hear a great deal of attention was paid to this matter in the production of the Vatican II hymnal.

You might check out their books.

ccwatershed.org/purchase_accompaniment_book/

edit: Looks like you can download the entire book on PDF, so you can look at it without purchasing if you want.

lalemantpolyphonic.org/new_translation/Vatican_Organist_Volumes_1_and_2.pdf

[quote="superamazingman, post:2, topic:300302"]
I haven't seen it yet, but I hear a great deal of attention was paid to this matter in the production of the Vatican II hymnal.

You might check out their books.

ccwatershed.org/purchase_accompaniment_book/

edit: Looks like you can download the entire book on PDF, so you can look at it without purchasing if you want.

lalemantpolyphonic.org/new_translation/Vatican_Organist_Volumes_1_and_2.pdf

[/quote]

okay, downloaded the pdf, and played some of the mass settings on my iphone....and loved them....is this....chant? or...polyphony?

it is beautiful in its simplicity....and doesn't sound like a broadway shows tune at all which would be refreshing...

plus, when the music is simplified, the WORDS are emphasized…

just my opinion, but trying to learn more to form an educated opinion. thank you.

[quote="Elizabeth779, post:3, topic:300302"]
okay, downloaded the pdf, and played some of the mass settings on my iphone....and loved them....is this....chant? or...polyphony?

it is beautiful in its simplicity....and doesn't sound like a broadway shows tune at all which would be refreshing...

[/quote]

Exactly!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.