Origen, Jesus, and Reincarnation

I just read a hack article by some moral relativist claiming that Jesus believed in reincarnation.

He was speaking somewhat incoherently about the writings of “Origen” and that when Constantine “made Christianity the state religion” they quashed the belief in reincarnation.

Of course this individual referenced the Bible in regards to Elijah from teh book of Timothy and said that John the Baptist was actually the reincarnation of Elijah.

He claims the Church has significant cowardice for her refusal to “recant” the rejection of reincarnation.

Of course he also goes on with non-logic to discuss how the world would be different if Christianity were to accept reincarnation, and it does nothing more than display what he does not understand about Christianity in general. By the way, no facts are supported.

So the real question is this: Has anyone ever heard of “Origen” and the reincarnation heresy that Jesus allegedly believed in?

[quote=JCPhoenix]I just read a hack article by some moral relativist claiming that Jesus believed in reincarnation.

He was speaking somewhat incoherently about the writings of “Origen” and that when Constantine “made Christianity the state religion” they quashed the belief in reincarnation.

Of course this individual referenced the Bible in regards to Elijah from teh book of Timothy and said that John the Baptist was actually the reincarnation of Elijah.

He claims the Church has significant cowardice for her refusal to “recant” the rejection of reincarnation.

Of course he also goes on with non-logic to discuss how the world would be different if Christianity were to accept reincarnation, and it does nothing more than display what he does not understand about Christianity in general. By the way, no facts are supported.

So the real question is this: Has anyone ever heard of “Origen” and the reincarnation heresy that Jesus allegedly believed in?
[/quote]

www.catholic.com/library/Reincarnation.asp

Duh!

I throw links around all day long at people…why didn’t I follow one of them myself! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.