Origin of papacy according to Protestants

When did the papacy start according to protestants?

They don’t believe in the papacy lol

I don’t think most Protestants really care, the Pope isn’t part of their religious traditions.

Some apocalyptic sects may cite certain individuals as the “first pope” to explain their end of the world theories. But that’s only a tiny minority of Protestants.

Father gave such a GREAT sermon about Peter during one of our weekday Masses. It was the Gospel of when Jesus Himself gave the keys of the Kingdom to Peter. Like Father said it’s in every Bible written clear as can be. He told him what he held bound on Earth would be bound in Heaven. What he held loosed on Earth would be loosed in Heaven. Then he said if you wonder about all going on today or even in the past with Popes, Bishops, Cardinals not long after Jesus gave authority over His Church to Peter, Peter contradicts Jesus and Jesus tells him “get behind me satan.” Like Father said, did Jesus take the keys back, did the Church cease to exist, did Jesus’ plan fall apart. NO Peter did become the first Pope, the Church is still here over 2000 years later and we still have the Magisterium of the Pope and the Bishops under his authority. That’s why we must not panic, we must not lose hope. Jesus promised He would be with us until the end of time (He IS in the Eucharist and in every Catholic Church in the world). He promised that the gates of hell would not prevail over His Church and they won’t. His Church will still be here when He comes again.

From a Baptist perspective, there is literally no such thing. We were told that it was just a man made institution of no real consequence.

aint they cute!

Out of interest, how do Baptists square Matthew 16:18 “Though art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church,” with the papacy being a man-made institution?

Boy, I heard countless interpretations of that verse. None of them involved Peter being pope. Emphasis was placed on the idea that “the church” was build on the rock of salvation and would never falter. In no way was Peter understood to be that rock.

To my mind, though, the proxy of authority is what makes the papacy the papacy: “I will give you* the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you* bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you* loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

(Each of these instances of ‘you’ in the Greek is singular. It’s “you”, not “ya’ll”. Jesus is talking specifically to Peter!)

Yes, but that is not the Protestant interpretation. The OP asked about Protestants.

True, but @Brendan_64 asked a Protestant take on Mt 16:18. I guess I’m asking “and what’s their take on Mt 16:19?”…

Which protestant denomination is the OP talking about?

Noted 18th Century Baptist theologian John Gill, gave an analysis of every verse in bible. Of course, Protestant beliefs vary, but his work is a good place to see where mainstream Protestants are coming from. Gill lived before a lot of the 19th century innovations.

He didn’t specify. Since @mrsdizzyd talked about Baptists, @Brendan_64 asked a question specifically about Baptists’ beliefs.

See augustinian’s link. Basically the phrase “you are Peter” is glossed over.

Protestant converts often refer to verses they didn’t realize were in the Bible. This is one of them.

That’s Mt 16:18. I was talking about Mt 16:19.

(However, I did use that link to see the commentary on v19 and, oh boy!, was it interesting. The take on that verse was an eisegesis of Protestant doctrine, describing “the kingdom” as the Bible and “the keys” as the ability to preach from the Bible, given not only to Peter but to all. Was that your experience, too? Yikes…)

Yes. When you gloss over “you are Peter” in 18, you have to come up with an alternate interpretation for 19.

Even though in the same sentence Jesus named Simon as Peter (meaning rock). Just a coincidence, eh?

Glossed over. As I said, Protestant converts often refer to this passage as one we “didn’t realize was in the Bible”.

I once listened to a sermon at a pentocostal church.
They hit this verse and missed half of it.
The congregation actually believed they had read it, but they had only read pieces of the verse.
I am still confused as to how that happens,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.