Origin of Portrait of Jesus

I found this portrait of Jesus on the internet and cannot find any useful information about its origin. Can anyone help me? It is attached.

Wow, that is compelling! You can totally get lost in his intense gaze! Sadly, I have no idea who made this portrait either.

[quote="CNormal, post:1, topic:308746"]
I found this portrait of Jesus on the internet and cannot find any useful information about its origin. Can anyone help me? It is attached.

[/quote]

My Great Grandmother had a large painting that looks just like that. She said she was in Rome when she got it so late 50s but thats all I know

I dont know the origin, but, He almost looks angry or like someone has just hurt Him...
Was HE just Crucified or IS He being crucified?
That's all I have for now...

Looks as if it could be a Renaissance painting. Is there a colour image of it?

The most I could find was that it was painted by El Greco

OOPS, I mistook the folds on His clothing for tears! But He still looks sad…

Doesn’t look like El Greco’s work; I suspect that’s a mis-attribution. Looks more modern to me.

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:8, topic:308746"]
Doesn't look like El Greco's work; I suspect that's a mis-attribution. Looks more modern to me.

[/quote]

Could be, but that's what I get when I do a Google Image search using the image. I get Jesus Christ by El Greco. I could most certainly be wrong, but blame Google.

Not El Greco despite everyone on pinterest.com re-'pinning' it from everyone else as such.

I did a Google search based on the image and that didn't help except to discover that, apparently, if you belong to an Eastern church of some sort, it is the law that you must randomly put that picture in a blog post. And by random, I mean random. The picture must not have anything to do with the text next to it. Also, I discovered that 'attribution' must be solely a Western concept. :rolleyes:

This could be the one by Russian painter Karl Briullov.

Title:

"Jesus, the Temptation in the Desert"

[quote="bzkoss236, post:9, topic:308746"]
Could be, but that's what I get when I do a Google Image search using the image. I get Jesus Christ by El Greco. I could most certainly be wrong, but blame Google.

[/quote]

LOL! I think I'll blame whoever posted it someplace and stuck Greco's name on it for Google to pick up.

Hey! I should repost it with my name on it! I'll be famous!

:smiley:

Thank you for all the comments.

Yes, it is still a mystery.

It definitely is not El Greco who is, BTW, my favorite painter of the old masters. I also suspect it is more modern but I could not find a connection to Karl Briullov.

Perhaps there is some other source that would solve this?

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.