Original Douay-Rheims Study Bible- Updates

I am in the process of transcribing the original Douay-Rheims Bible with all its marginal notes, commentary, cross-references, and introductions and putting it online for free! I am updating the English so that the modern reader can read it much easier than the Old English. I am laying out everything in its original format that was published in 1609! I have just completed the book of Revelation, here is the link sites.google.com/site/aquinasstudybible/home/revelation/douay-rheims-study-bible-on-revelation

The commentary and marginal notes of this great Bible is unbelievably trustworthy and traditionally Catholic!!!!

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:1, topic:321734"]
I am in the process of transcribing the original Douay-Rheims Bible with all its marginal notes, commentary, cross-references, and introductions and putting it online for free! I am updating the English so that the modern reader can read it much easier than the Old English. I am laying out everything in its original format that was published in 1609! I have just completed the book of Revelation, here is the link sites.google.com/site/aquinasstudybible/home/revelation/douay-rheims-study-bible-on-revelation

The commentary and marginal notes of this great Bible is unbelievably trustworthy and traditionally Catholic!!!!

[/quote]

I have noticed you are working on several bibles for computer use, my question to you
is are you going to publish any of translations? I prefer a book rather than a computer
version.:confused:

I am looking into it, but I'm not sure. The Douay-Rheims has been updated and published by somone else and its on the market, but unfortunately it not well known, I didn't even know about it until I started working on my project and was shown by a friend whose also working in the same area of interest. The version that I mentioned above is a little expensive, though I imagine its well worth it, but if I do publish mine and get it in print I will only do it as long as it can be purchased easily and cheap, even if I have to take a bit of a loss. My main goal is to make it freely available, and that means online. The only cost is my time, which I gladly put a great deal into that!

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:3, topic:321734"]
I am looking into it, but I'm not sure. The Douay-Rheims has been updated and published by somone else and its on the market, but unfortunately it not well known, I didn't even know about it until I started working on my project and was shown by a friend whose also working in the same area of interest. The version that I mentioned above is a little expensive, though I imagine its well worth it, but if I do publish mine and get it in print I will only do it as long as it can be purchased easily and cheap, even if I have to take a bit of a loss. My main goal is to make it freely available, and that means online. The only cost is my time, which I gladly put a great deal into that!

[/quote]

Well if you do publish, post it here and I will buy it.:)

To what extent are you "updating the English," and according to what rules or rules of thumb?

[quote="Ad_Orientem, post:5, topic:321734"]
To what extent are you "updating the English," and according to what rules or rules of thumb?

[/quote]

This is where I make as little changes as absolutely possible, only the spelling is changed, I am keeping it as close as possible in everything. Here is an example

Original Douay-Rheims Revelation

8 And the second Angel sounded with the trompet: and as it were a great mountaine burning with fire, was cast into the sea, and the third part of the sea was made bloud:

9 and the third part of those creatures died, which had liues in the sea, and the third part of the shippes perished.

10 And the third Angel sounded with the trompet, and a great starre fel from heauen, burning as it were a torche, and it fel on the third part of the floudes, and on the fountaines of waters:

11 and the name of the starre is called Worme Wod. and the third part of the waters was made into Worme Wod: and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter .

Here mine

8 And the second Angel sounded with the trumpet: and as it were a great mountain burning with fire, was cast into the sea, and the third part of the sea was made blood:

9 and the third part of those creatures died, which had lives in the sea, and the third part of the ships perished.

10 And the third Angel sounded with the trumpet, and a great star fell from heaven, burning as it were a torch, and it fell on the third part of the floods, and on the fountains of waters:

11 and the name of the star is called Wormwood. And the third part of the waters was made into Wormwood: and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Cool...I hope you are able to finish it.

What an awesome project! I think it is great that you are doing it. Good luck. Make sure you don't fall into the trap of copyrighting it. Release it into the public domain from where you received it, so that it can flourish.

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:1, topic:321734"]

[/quote]

[quote="irenaeuslyons, post:8, topic:321734"]
What an awesome project! I think it is great that you are doing it. Good luck. Make sure you don't fall into the trap of copyrighting it. Release it into the public domain from where you received it, so that it can flourish.

[/quote]

Absolutely public domain for sure! I am working on publishing it on Kindle for now, and it will also be online for free.

I am in the process of transcribing the original Douay-Rheims Bible that was published in 1609 with all the wonderful original footnotes, marginal notes, cross-references, and introductions, in modern spelling, no word changes nor phrase changes, only transliterated from Old English to Modern script. I have already completed 1-2 Thessalonians, James, and Revelation, and they are available on Kindle on Amazon, and I plan once that I finish the New Testament I am going to have it in print for as cheap as possible, only the cost of what it takes to print. Eventually I plan to have the whole Bible in one volume in print. The Douay-Rheims Bible of 1609 is loaded with footnotes from the Early Church Fathers, and it is very traditionally Catholic and is designed to be a great apologetic resource!! I will keep everyone posted on the progress!!

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:10, topic:321734"]
I am in the process of transcribing the original Douay-Rheims Bible that was published in 1609 with all the wonderful original footnotes, marginal notes, cross-references, and introductions, in modern spelling, no word changes nor phrase changes, only transliterated from Old English to Modern script. I have already completed 1-2 Thessalonians, James, and Revelation, and they are available on Kindle on Amazon, and I plan once that I finish the New Testament I am going to have it in print for as cheap as possible, only the cost of what it takes to print. Eventually I plan to have the whole Bible in one volume in print. The Douay-Rheims Bible of 1609 is loaded with footnotes from the Early Church Fathers, and it is very traditionally Catholic and is designed to be a great apologetic resource!! I will keep everyone posted on the progress!!

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I would be interested when you have the New Testament completed. ;)

As would I

Awesome! :thumbsup: I like this: “in modern spelling, no word changes nor phrase changes”. To many people who do what you do change words and phrases (I can’t stand that). :slight_smile:

[quote="Zekariya, post:13, topic:321734"]
Awesome! :thumbsup: I like this: "in modern spelling, no word changes nor phrase changes". To many people who do what you do change words and phrases (I can't stand that). :)

[/quote]

Someone has already done what I am doing, though last I checked on Amazon a copy of it was selling for 500 dollars or not available because out of print. When I finish I plan to make nothing from it and sell it for the price of the printing fee, hopefully for around 10 to 15 dollars, and its going to be public domain. I can't wait, its an excellent Bible with great footnotes and introductions, I can't believe that it has been forgotten and unknown to Catholics today!

Here is a new volume of the Douay-Rheims Study Bible on the book of Revelation with all the original of 1609 footnotes, introductions, cross-references in modern spelling. Its loaded with great quotes from the Early Church Fathers! amazon.com/Douay-Rheims-Study-Bible-Apocalypse-John/dp/1484153154/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367635988&sr=8-4&keywords=john+litteral

The Gospel of St. Matthew is in the works and should be in print soon!

I wish there were some sample pages to preview made available?

Is this the original Douai or the Challoner Bible?

Its from the original, not Challoner. All the old spelling is in modern spelling, not word changes or phrase changes, spelling only. Same goes for all the footnotes and introductions! I will be providing a preview, but I assure you that it is layed out very nicely!

The listing on Amazon says this is Volume 2. Is there a Volume 1? I don't see any indication on the cover in the image so I infer it might be a mistake on Amazon's part.

How does your work compare with that of von Peters? It seems as if you are both attempting something quite similar.

There are some surprising claims on the Real Douay-Rheims website. For example: "The King James Version was virtually a translation from Luther's German to English, and NOT "diligently compared with original Hebrew and Greek" as it claimed --- there being no original Hebrew or Greek manuscripts in existence." To what extent is this true? I always thought that the King James was already taken primarily from already existing English versions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.