Original Jewish Kabbalah

What are your thoughts. Today, kabbalah is a fad, practiced by some hollywood stars, and not at all like the original Jewish kabbalah. Info, thoughts, comments, etc.

Info:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah

From what I know and have experienced from New Age cults, this certainly is being touted by many. It is the desire to become ‘enlightened’ by one’s own ability to achieve as much. It is a form of Gnosticism that’s been around in various masks since the early Councils. It is NOT compatible with Christian life - Jesus has done the work of our salvation by dying on the cross for us. We only need to admit to our imperfection and ask for the saving grace of Jesus, Himself. To think that we can ‘achieve’ our own salvation by being ‘enlightened’ is a slap in the face for Christ and all that he’s done. We can never be greater than God - sound familiar to you? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_4.gifshould do!!

I’m talking about the original kabbalah as studied by men like Sefer Yatzhira and others. I am aware of the new agey type of kabbalah practiced by many. This is not the true kabbalah.

New Age is the gnosticism of our modern times.

I don’t know anything about the Kabbalah. But I am curious to learn what our Jewish brethern have to say about it. :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t this thread be in the “Non-Catholic Religions” forum? :shrug:

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_5_6.gifYes, Yes!!

If you had been clearer in your first posting, Narrowpath, we would have realized the nature of your question. Having posted here, one would assume otherwise. So yes, please go in the Non-Catholic Religions forum and become informed from those who do practice it - wikipedia is not a good, base resource.

:o …whoops.

Kabbalah and the zohar are held in high esteem by many orthodox Jews. In hasidic judaism I believe they even hold special services in synagogues.

True, but all the other sights I’ve seen are new age sights and this is the best I could do. The Jewish Encyclopedia might have some info…

Just remember why you have your signature!!

13 Enter ye in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there are who go in thereat. 14 How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it!
-Matthew 7:13-14

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_210.gif

I turn to two of the Judaic websites for information. :tiphat:

jewfaq.org/kabbalah.htm

torah.org/features/spirfocus/kabbalah.html

%between%

reen12

Those are very helpful. Thnx.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.