Original sin = Mortal sin?

Adam and Eve at the apple, thus we have Original sin.

Was eating the apple Mortal sin?

If so, why? If not, why is Baptism required for salvation?

Yes it was.

I find this issue very troubling. This is not a “bait an argument” thread.

I have a sister who was still-born. “Still born” is a secular term. The Church teaches that life begins at conception.

I’ve spent most of my life believing she was in “Limbo”. But, now, the Church has changed it’s stance on “Limbo”.

The Church teaches that we are all born with the stain of Original Sin. The Church also teaches that if we die in a state of Mortal Sin, we go to Hell.

If “Original Sin” is venial, then Baptism is NOT (or maybe not) required to enter Heaven. If “Original Sin” is mortal, then my sister is in Hell.

Not a pleasant thought. Something I struggle with often.

The original sin was a mortal sin because it was a deliberate break with God, a choosing to assert one’s own will against the known will of God. Salvation requires we be cleansed of the taint of this sin.

But that does not mean that your sister is in Hell, or even “Limbo” . We do not know what happens to infants, just as we cannot be sure what happens to most people that die. The Pope asked his theological commission to study this question, and they came out with a paper on the topic last year. Here is the conclusion:

Our conclusion is that the many factors that we have considered above give serious theological and liturgical grounds for hope that unbaptised infants who die will be saved and enjoy the Beatific Vision. We emphasise that these are reasons for prayerful hope, rather than grounds for sure knowledge. There is much that simply has not been revealed to us (cf. Jn 16:12). We live by faith and hope in the God of mercy and love who has been revealed to us in Christ, and the Spirit moves us to pray in constant thankfulness and joy (cf. 1 Thess 5:18).

The whole document is here:

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070419_un-baptised-infants_en.html

It is Catholic dogma that we all inherit personal guilt of Adam's sin. Similar to how all the Jews inherit the blood guilt of deicide. So that would be a mortal sin, and it is precisely why all infants who die unbaptized, or baptized but not into the Catholic Church (they receive the inedible mark but not regeneration) go to eternal fires of Hell.

[quote="HouseUponRock, post:5, topic:102388"]
It is Catholic dogma that we all inherit personal guilt of Adam's sin. Similar to how all the Jews inherit the blood guilt of deicide. So that would be a mortal sin, and it is precisely why all infants who die unbaptized, or baptized but not into the Catholic Church (they receive the inedible mark but not regeneration) go to eternal fires of Hell.

[/quote]

Pardon me. It is Catholic teaching that Original Sin does NOT have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam's descendents. Original sin is a contracted state transmitted by propagation to all humankind.
Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, paragraps 297-409.

For the truth of God's mercy, please read CCC 1257; and CCC 1260-1261 before condemning anyone to Hell.

Hi Brother John,

I view that narrative as being allegorical of the sin of turning away from God and trying to take our destiny in our own hands. The “mortal sin” part of it is that there is no life outside of God, so to turn away from God is to embrace death.

Just my $0.02.

God bless +

Vatican II sect is totally apostate. I spit all over this apostate catechism that denies numerous infallibly decreed dogmas.

Reported

[quote="davidv, post:9, topic:102388"]
Reported

[/quote]

I don't fear judgement of men. The Vatican II Counter-Church makes a complete mockery of true Catholicism!

"1. The time is fast approaching in which there will be great trials and afflictions; perplexities and dissensions, both spiritual and temporal, will abound; the charity of many will grow cold, and the malice of the wicked will increase.

"2. The devils will have unusual power, the immaculate purity of our Order, and of others, will be so much obscured that there will be very few Christians who will obey the true Sovereign Pontiff and the Roman Church with loyal hearts and perfect charity. At the time of this tribulation a man, not canonically elected, will be raised to the Pontificate, who, by his cunning, will endeavour to draw many into error and death.

"3. Then scandals will be multiplied, our Order will be divided, and many others will be entirely destroyed, because they will consent to error instead of opposing it.

"4. There will be such diversity of opinions and schisms among the people, the religious and the clergy, that, except those days were shortened, according to the words of the Gospel, even the elect would be led into error, were they not specially guided, amid such great confusion, by the immense mercy of God.

"5. Then our Rule and manner of life will be violently opposed by some, and terrible trials will come upon us. Those who are found faithful will receive the crown of life; but woe to those who, trusting solely in their Order, shall fall into tepidity, for they will not be able to support the temptations permitted for the proving of the elect.

"6. Those who preserve their fervour and adhere to virtue with love and zeal for the truth, will suffer injuries and, persecutions as rebels and schismatics; for their persecutors, urged on by the evil spirits, will say they are rendering a great service to God by destroying such pestilent men from the face of the earth. but the Lord will be the refuge of the afflicted, and will save all who trust in Him. And in order to be like their Head, [Christ] these, the elect, will act with confidence, and by their death will purchase for themselves eternal life; choosing to obey God rather than man, they will fear nothing, and they will prefer to perish rather than consent to falsehood and perfidy.

"7. Some preachers will keep silence about the truth, and others will trample it under foot and deny it. Sanctity of life will be held in derision even by those who outwardly profess it, for in those days Jesus Christ will send them not a true Pastor, but a destroyer."

St. Francis of Assisi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.