Original sin & our sexual organs

Genesis 1-27:
“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”

Genesis 2-7:
“And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”

Genesis 2:21-22:
“And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.”

My questions are:

1. What is the difference between the “man” in Genesis 1-27 and the “man” in Genesis 2-7?

2. When GOD formed Adam in Genesis 2-7, and since Eve was not there yet, have Adam created with sexual organs?

I’m asking those questions, because I sometimes believe that our sexual organs were the result of the original sin, when Adam & Eve ate that forbidden fruit our sexual organs emerged.

Please convince me otherwise…

1. There isn’t one. Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 are just different accounts of creation - Genesis 1 is the 7-day account that most people are familiar with, Genesis 2 focuses more on the creation of man and of the Garden of Eden. The ‘man’ in both chapters is the same - Adam.

2. What makes you think sexual organs resulted from original sin? I’m looking at Genesis at not seeing anything there that even remotely leads to that conclusion. They were both formed by God as they were - God created man and woman to be together, Adam and Eve were the first marriage.

Have you heard of evolution?

I’ve heard it’s quite good at solving conundrums like these

If not… you can just say that God created Adam with genitals intact because God knows everything and knew that he was going to create Eve later.

The first citation is an account of the creation of one male human being. The second one is a summary of the creation of humanity. The third citation is an account of the creation of the first female human being. The third citation would seem to imply that if God created specifically a “woman,” she would have female sex organs and secondary sexual characteristics (e.g., typical female figure including breasts, shallower and wider pelvic girdle, etc.) It would be utterly illogical for God to create such a being and bring her to another human being who had no male reproductive system or secondary male sexual characteristics.

Also, according to Genesis, God did say after creating the first two people: “Be fruitful and multiply and spread over the earth, etc,” so I think that the reproductive systems were part of His original design. Since He decided to rest on the seventh day after creating people, I’d think He’d foresee that if He were to just cast parents into a deep sleep, take a rib and voila–you have offspring–people couldn’t obey that command of His. Plus, if they were to populate the earth via the second method, He’d always be doing human reproduction! The creation of Eve was just a way to jump start the female gender of the species.

If on the other hand you believe in evolution, you can readily see that anything above amoebas in the animal kingdom reproduce sexually. All higher animals have sexual organs, so “male and female” He at least designed them, too.

No, I think He wanted us (and all His creation) to have a share in His creative process. And for a complex organism such as a human being, that would require sexual reproduction. He created the apparatus for that right at the start, and it was good. He also infused our personalities with an aspect of sexuality which is not the same thing as sexual expression, but an acknowledgement of our identity as men or women in addition to all the other things we are. That’s good, too.

Original sin is what gave us a propensity to use sex selfishly and sinfully. We’re the ones who loused it up. Original sin gave us a propensity to louse everything up. That’s called concupiscence. Via concupiscence, we tend to mess anything up, from elements of nature to our entire social structure. The point of the original sin issue is this–the first humans were tempted to eat the apple so that they could become like God. That would require the ability to foresee the results of actions, the indepth knowledge of every ethical issue that any one act could touch on. We just don’t have that capacity. So voila–the propensity to sin.

Sexual intercourse when engaged in in the appropriate setting (marriage) with the proper reasons (expression of love between husband and wife and being open to the possibility of the creation of new life) is still good. Expression of our genders in our personalities (sexuality) is still good, even if we’re celibate. It’s all still good. We just have to be careful not to louse it up!

Thanks for the clarification…

A good workaround…

Okay, but that reproductive system can be in different concept, for example by Adam saying to Eve “let it be a child for us” then when she agrees she would be pregnant, or in the same method JESUS (in the flesh) was born.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.