Original Sin Passed Down

Just Wanted To Know How To Explain To The Rcia Group Why The Stain Of Original Sin Is Passed Down To All. I Know There Is Evidence In Scripture But I Am Not Able To Extract It

Thanks
Marco

You might want to check out 1 Cor 15:22, and 45, or around those verses…

**I have a quick question…I have been too several RCIA classes and did not continue because the lay people teaching the classes could not answer questions like this one. **

Is it not a pre-requiste that you have to be extremely well versed in church history, teaching etc. before you can teach these classes?
Or is there really no criteria for who can teach?

As someone who was looking for answers it was very fustrating to go to RCIA and have the people leading the classes not be able to answer somewhat simple answers.

I Guess This Is Why I Continually Ask Questions.

I Do Agree That As A Layperson We Are Not Normally Theologians, But I Want To Be Able To Correctly Answer Questions. We Do Have A Priest With Us Who Will Intervene If Needed, But I Really Is About Community As Well. I Felt The Need To Serve The Rcia Program And Have Grown Every Year.

So I Turn To This Forum For New Ideas.

I Usually Answer This Question With The Fact That Being Born With The Ability To Reason Is A Direct Result Of The Original Sin Of Adam. It Is Evident In The Old Test That The Jewish Faith Believed This And That Any Additional Sins A Man Commits Will Be Passed Down Many Generations In His Family Tree.

[quote=wuppas]I Guess This Is Why I Continually Ask Questions.

I Do Agree That As A Layperson We Are Not Normally Theologians, But I Want To Be Able To Correctly Answer Questions. We Do Have A Priest With Us Who Will Intervene If Needed, But I Really Is About Community As Well. I Felt The Need To Serve The Rcia Program And Have Grown Every Year.

So I Turn To This Forum For New Ideas.

I Usually Answer This Question With The Fact That Being Born With The Ability To Reason Is A Direct Result Of The Original Sin Of Adam. It Is Evident In The Old Test That The Jewish Faith Believed This And That Any Additional Sins A Man Commits Will Be Passed Down Many Generations In His Family Tree.
[/quote]

Please let me apologize…I did not direct my comment towards you in general…it was just put out there.

It has just been my experience in several different parishes and in several different states that most people involved in RCIA really should be kept away…all they do is fustrate people like me who want an answer, can not get an answer or if we get one it is totally off-base, so in turn we turn away from the church out of fustration.

Perhaps one of these days I will find an RCIA program that actually has people that knwo their faith in it…until then, oh well!

Augustine has a good section on this question in The City of God. I can’t remember exactly which book, but it’s definitely between books 11 and 20, and an indexed version will probably be able to get you to the correct passage.

If I remember his line of reasoning correctly, man was created in natural communion with God. When man sinned, he severed this communion. When man later begat descendants, he passed on his whole nature, but since he had lost that natural communion with God, he could not pass on what he no longer had himself.

[quote=wuppas]Just Wanted To Know How To Explain To The Rcia Group Why The Stain Of Original Sin Is Passed Down To All. I Know There Is Evidence In Scripture But I Am Not Able To Extract It

Thanks
Marco
[/quote]

Catechism of the Catholic Church
407 The doctrine of original sin, closely connected with that of redemption by Christ, provides lucid discernment of man’s situation and activity in the world. By our first parents’ sin, the devil has acquired a certain domination over man, even though man remains free. Original sin entails “captivity under the power of him who thenceforth had the power of death, that is, the devil”.Ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social and morals.

389 The doctrine of original sin is, so to speak, the “reverse side” of the Good News that Jesus is the Savior of all men, that all need salvation and that salvation is offered to all through Christ. The Church, which has the mind of Christ, knows very well that we cannot tamper with the revelation of original sin without undermining the mystery of Christ.

405 Although it is proper to each individual, original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam’s descendants. It is a deprivation of original holiness and justice, but human nature has not been totally corrupted: it is wounded in the natural powers proper to it, subject to ignorance, suffering and the dominion of death, and inclined to sin - an inclination to evil that is called concupiscence". Baptism, by imparting the life of Christ’s grace, erases original sin and turns a man back towards God, but the consequences for nature, weakened and inclined to evil, persist in man and summon him to spiritual battle

408 The consequences of original sin and of all men’s personal sins put the world as a whole in the sinful condition aptly described in St. John’s expression, “the sin of the world”.This expression can also refer to the negative influence exerted on people by communal situations and social structures that are the fruit of men’s sins.

418 As a result of original sin, human nature is weakened in its powers, subject to ignorance, suffering and the domination of death, and inclined to sin (this inclination is called “concupiscence”).

1018 As a consequence of original sin, man must suffer “bodily death, from which man would have been immune had he not sinned” (GS § 18).

Go here for more ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/?sufs=0&q=original+sin&xsubmit=Search&s=SS

The best way that I have been able to explain it is as such:

Imagine a male and female were spilunking into a deep cavern. Their ropes were tied to the top and they decended down. Unfortunatelly the ropes connecting them to the outside world broke. The cave walls were too sheer for them to climb out of the cavern. They end up deciding that they would have to live in this cavern for the rest of their lives. In time the couple have children who have never seen the beauties of the outside world and consider the cavern the world. You can consider Christ as the “Search and Rescue” guy.

The point of this analogy is to point out that while Adam and Eve had the preternatural graces (living outside the cave) after they had children they were already stuck in the cave and thus instead of the children being born in the world of light they are born into the darkness of the cavern.

Karin, Please Don’t Worry

None Taken At All
I Actually Agree With You
I Sponsored A Friend A Few Years Back And We Both Did Not Get Too Much Out Of It. This Made Me Involved With Our Church’s Rcia–which Is Quite Good.

I Is Very Important To Teach And Have Answers In The Rcia Process. Obviously, Most Members Are Prostestant So They Already Have A History Of How Catholics Are Wrong And What Bible Passages Prove It.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.