Original Sin

This is a belief I have always followed because it is what I was taught. We are all born with original sin. In trying to understand our faith better, I keep getting stumped by this one. Not that I don’t believe we ar born with original sin, it’s just that I don’t know how to defend this teaching. Can any one help? When responding, please also include Scripture/Verse and any CCC or other references.

Thank you and God Bless,

Catechism of the Catholic Church

ORIGINAL SIN
Freedom put to the test

Thanks, now can someone explain it to me like I’m a 7 year old…because I have to teach it to 7 year olds.

Thanks

Hi dhgray!

Here’s a search of the CCC on Original sin and I hope it helps. Be sure to have a look at the context of the sections it refers to as it often clarifies things even better. Here’s the Link to that search engine for future reference.

The 3rd chapter of the Gospel of John is a good place to begin. Why would one need to born again if we are not born in sin?

Psalm 51 is also a relevent passage, noting especially verse 7.

St. Paul get’s into this also in Romans 5 and that is a good context as well. Verse 12 says plainly: "12 Wherefore as by one man sin entered into this world, and by sin death; and so death passed upon all men, in whom all have sinned. " So there’s your original sin right there.

This article from This Rock is very good.

John Martignoni has a great article HERE on infant baptism and original sin.

Greg Mockeridge’s article is also good.

The ECF on Original Sin

There are 2 good questions and answers on this page about original sin that might also help. (The rest of them ain’t bad either, in fact.)

Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.
Pax tecum,

Thanks CM…you certianly live up to your name.

Happy Turkey Day.

[quote=dhgray]Thanks CM…you certianly live up to your name.

Happy Turkey Day.
[/quote]

You too My friend! God Bless!
7 year olds are gonna be a challenge with this concept.

Observe small children for a short time. You’ll see they they are selfish and self-centered. They need to be taught sharing, manners and how to be polite.

Not is all bad however. They give abundant amount of love without reservation.

In their actions we can see the self evident disorder and hope that things can be set right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.