Original Sin

I am talking to a Mormon, and I was doing well since we can agree on a lot of things that I can’t agree on with most Protestants. (Role of the Church, baptism washing away sin)

However, one thing that was brought up was infant baptism. They don’t do it because even though they believe baptism washes away sin, they do not believe in original sin.

Can someone please explain to me why we believe in original sin? and perhaps the evidence for it?

I’m sure this has been discussed before, so if anyone can point me to an old thread with this topic that will be fine too.

Adam

Original Sin came from Adam and Eve. They lived in the Garden of Eden and had everything that God had given them. But, they were tempted by Satan and lost their grace with God. So, as they were our parents we are children that are born with their sin. That is why we must be baptised so we can remove this sin. I hope that helps. :smiley:

Well, let me clarify.

I understand that. But I understand it because I believe it.

I don’t have the Scriptures in front of me as I am at work, but I wanted an answer for her today.

I guess to clarify - where do they say it put a stain of sin on our soul? In just reading the story of Adam and Eve, they sinned and were kicked out, but it doesn’t say about leaving the stain.

Even moreso, where does it say it will be passed on to future generations?

Adam

[quote=Unfinished]Well, let me clarify.

I understand that. But I understand it because I believe it.

I don’t have the Scriptures in front of me as I am at work, but I wanted an answer for her today.

I guess to clarify - where do they say it put a stain of sin on our soul? In just reading the story of Adam and Eve, they sinned and were kicked out, but it doesn’t say about leaving the stain.

Even moreso, where does it say it will be passed on to future generations?

Adam
[/quote]

Adam by his fault transmitted to us not only death but also sin. “for as by the disobedience of one man many * were made sinners” (Romans 5:19). I think this should help.
God Bless.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.