Original Text Bible

I would like a Bible that has the original texts in the original languages side-by-side with the translation. And if it could have notes on specific translation problems that should be noted along with culture context explanations.

Does this exist? :o

You may want to look into what’s called an “Interlinear Bible.” It’s a kind of Bible that has the original language of a verse on one line, then the English translation on the next line, then it starts over with the next verse: original language on one line, English translation on the next. Often, they will even line up each English word under the corresponding word in the original language, and use little numbers to designate where they appear in the English translation. (Word order often changes in English from what it is in the original, just like it would if you translated something from modern Spanish into English.)

Here is a link to an Amazon search for a Catholic Interlinear Bible: amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=catholic+interlinear+bible&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ACatholic+Interlinear+Bible

The original language, literal translation and KJV English translation side-by-side are available online.

Hebrew Old Testament: scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm**
Greek New Testament**: scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

I have their Interlinear Scripture Analyzer application on my PC. It’s pretty good.

-Tim-

Thank you for this!

Interlinear what? I’ll have to look into that. Will it work for a Mac?

Interlinear basically means two or more translations side by side. There is a Linux version. Not sure if that will help you. scripture4all.org/download/download_ISA20.php

My daily Bible is the RSV and I use the tools at quod.lib.umich.edu/r/rsv/ extensively. It does not have the original greek/hebrew but is a great source for quickly looking up verses or words in the RSV.

-Tim-

I am not aware of a single book that does this for all three languages of the Bible, Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic. I expect that you would have to get one book that does this for the Greek New Testament and one book for the Hebrew Old Testament. I doubt that there is a book doing this with the small part of the Old Testament that is in Aramaic.
I have to be somewhere so I won’t suggest such books right now–but in fact I have several book doing this for the Greek and Hebrew Bibles. But you could go to amazon.com to search for books that do this. (And amazon.com offerings usually provide reviews of the books they provide.)

A side-by-side translation is called a parallel translation. An interlinear has has the translation in between the lines of the original text.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.