Origins of Halloween

I found this online at EWTN.
Here is a part of it and the link follows:

HALLOWEEN: ITS ORIGINS AND CELEBRATION

The celebration of Halloween has dual origins. The first is in a pre-Christian Celtic feast associated with the Celtic New Year. The second is in the Christian celebration of All Saints Day (Nov. 1st) and All Souls Day (Nov. 2). In the British Isles November 1st is called All Hallows, thus the evening before is All Hallows Eve.

The Celtic Feast

The ancient Celtic peoples who inhabited England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Brittany (NW France) celebrated their New Year’s Day on what would be November 1st on our calendar. Prior to their conversion to Catholicism these peoples practiced a pagan religion controlled by a priest class known as Druids. The Druids are most famous for the stone monument of Stonehenge and other astronomical calendars that remain in their former domains

You can find the rest of the article HERE

Thanks for the link!:thumbsup: I wondered who won the millionth post contest. Congrats!:clapping:

congrats - million post man!

I love Halloween - and think it is a shame that so many people have tried to hijack it, either for the DARK side or by making it some sort of vaguely anti-Catholic thing if you do enjoy it and celebrate it. Thank you for your post, Edwin!

Great link, Edwin! That was a really good read. Thank you!!

Thank you for the article; I’m passing it on to my Christian friends.

We really need to emphasise the Christian aspect of Halloween. Well, I’m trying to anyways by biking up to the cemetary to offer some incense and candles and doing a prayer on November 1st or 2nd if time allows (I’m ‘due’ for a visit for my passed-away grandfather, lolo Florentino Calanza).

Too bad there is no one else who wanted to, after I proposed to have a picnic at the cemetary on Hallow’s Eve :p.

[quote=silverwings_88]Thank you for the article; I’m passing it on to my Christian friends.

We really need to emphasise the Christian aspect of Halloween. Well, I’m trying to anyways by biking up to the cemetary to offer some incense and candles and doing a prayer on November 1st or 2nd if time allows (I’m ‘due’ for a visit for my passed-away grandfather, lolo Florentino Calanza).

Too bad there is no one else who wanted to, after I proposed to have a picnic at the cemetary on Hallow’s Eve :p.
[/quote]

Actually, we shouldn’t run and hide from the holidays but restore them to what they really mean.
I had heard somewhere (or read) that there is an indulgence to going to cemeteries and remembering and praying for the souls of the deceased…is this true?

[quote=Edwin1961]Actually, we shouldn’t run and hide from the holidays but restore them to what they really mean.
I had heard somewhere (or read) that there is an indulgence to going to cemeteries and remembering and praying for the souls of the deceased…is this true?
[/quote]

Who said anything about hiding? :smiley: I’m just getting tired of the commercial aspect of Halloween, and as much as dressing up is fun, it takes away the spirit for me because frankly, I’m not paying nor giving effort to dressing up when my duty is to pray for those in Purgatory ;).

If you’ve checked the stores lately, Halloween is getting as big as Christmas decorating!

I’d rather see it connected with the Saints!!!

Read this article: seekwisdom.org/articles/cathhalloween.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.