Orthodox and Latin Rite Masses/Sacraments Questions

What are Roman Catholics allowed to do in Orthodox Rite churches and vice versa? Can a Latin rite Catholic fulfill his/her mass duty by going to an Orthodox church? What sacraments can the members of both churches participate in? Answers from both Orthodox Christians and Roman Catholics, please (I mean absolutely no disrespect to my Orthodox brothers and sisters of Christianity, I am just curious what is acceptable or not).:heart:

From the Catholic point of view, Orthodox Christians are able to receive all Sacraments in the Catholic Church, but they are encouraged to seek the permission of their pastor/bishop before doing so. In practice, few Orthodox pastors or bishops would bless such actions, though it does happen in exceptional circumstances.

From an Orthodox point of view, Catholics may not receive Sacraments in an Orthodox Church. Generally, this holds true, but on rare occasions a priest will give the Sacraments to a Catholic. Those priest or bishops who allow this are considered to not be following the teachings of the Church. A Catholic should most definitely not approach the Mysteries in an Orthodox Church without explicit permission of the priest, who knows that he or she is Catholic

You’re allowed to attend Divine Liturgy and accept antidoro, which is blessed bread the priest gives out after the end of Divine Liturgy to those who did not or could not receive at that time.

Generally, no sacraments, but there have been cases where the rules aren’t listened to for whatever reason. That’s why I stopped bringing my Catholic friends to church with me: most of the time they end going rogue and receiving communion even when I asked them not to.

You’re not offending or disrespecting us at all; we’re all happy to help.

Are you Vietnamese by any chance? I have a friend who speaks Vietnamese (he’s Teochew, though) and he’s taught me a few words over the years. I look forward to the day when I can visit: it’s been a dream of mine to help our missions there.

Thank you for the advice, I just wanted to know should I ever go to an Orthodox mass, there are a few in my area, and they (the churches) are usually quite beautiful ;). I’m guessing you saw my religion listed in Vietnamese, and yes, I am, ethnically (born in the USA). I also have heard of the new Orthodox church in Vietnam (Vung Tau, I believe). I went there (Vietnam) and it was beautiful. A shame some of the cathedrals there were abandoned and left forlorn. You probably know that most Vietnamese Christians are Catholics, and Catholicism, both Latin rite and Orthodox, is growing there. I look forward to our two churches existing in a peaceful and loving manner :heaven:!

Since you are in the US, you have many more options available to you, like the various Eastern Catholic Churches. You can receive Eucharist and participate fully in these Churches, as they are in full communion with yours.

I’m shocked: I don’t know anyone who’s ever been to the new church in Vung Tau! I know two people who’ve ever been there: my one good friend who’s a Buddhist (the same guy I talked about earlier) and my Father, who was unfortunately there because of the War.

For what it’s worth, the Church is used to suffering. It’s during times of suffering that the Church is most beautiful and the people need Her more than ever.

Most tales of Orthodoxy in Vietnam I’ve heard about have just been Vietnamese and Greeks that’ve settled there. I’ve heard of missions in Thailand and Indonesia, Hong Kong and Taiwan, but not Vietnam yet. By the grace of God, maybe it’ll be soon. I met a Vietnamese-American with a Vietnamese wife who was considering conversion. You know, I ought to see how he’s doing, come to think of it.

Nice to you meet you, by the way. Chào anh!

Also, going to visit an Eastern Catholic or Oriental Catholic parish isn’t a bad idea. This might be of some use to you. byzcath.org/index.php/find-a-parish-mainmenu-111?sid=1:eastern-oriental-catholic-directory

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.