Orthodox: Best Book on the Schism

Brothers-

I am interested in learning more of the history of our separation, and I would like your advice.

What book would you recommend?

Think “The Great Schism for Dummies” or something like that.

I don’t have time for a multi-volume set, and I would prefer one written by a Catholic author if you feel that one has given the topic a fair treatment.

Otherwise, what Orthodox author would you say has been objective and fair to Catholics?

Thanks.

My recommendations as a man in the middle :wink:

You Are Peter: An Orthodox Reflection on the Exercise of Papal Primacy by Oilvier Clement

The Primacy of Peter: Essays in Ecclesiology and the Early Church Paperback by John Meyendorff

Rome and the Eastern Churches Paperback by Aidan Nichols (Fr Aidan is Catholic).

I would strongly suggest Metropolitan Kallistos Ware’s The Orthodox Church. It is a very balanced and well-written overview of the history of the Orthodox Church, and it includes, among other things, the Great Schism.

It depends on what you are looking for. Are looking for historical events or a study of the development of theology in each tradition?

Here is a history book that I have wanted to read but haven’t gotten around to yet. It is by Fr Andrew Louth, who is Orthodox. I read the first volume of the series by John meyendorff and it was very good.

Greek East And Latin West: The Church AD 681-1071 (The Church in History)

I would recommend His Broken Body by Cleenewerck.

Any other recommendations?

Cav?

Peter J?

Novocastrian?

Anyone?

You can read the Councils:

papalencyclicals.net/Councils/index.htm

:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.