Orthodox Christianity, Father Serphim?

I was reading something earlier and one of the search results was an Orthodox Christianity website, and a Father Serphim had written many articles, dealing with different topics, I wont mention the topic as its something Im not ready to post about yet, Ive been reading up on and looking into something in this particular area, and will eventually post a thread, once I have more information on it, it basically relates to demonic activity in our world.

Just curious what the differences are between Orthodox and regular Christianity, and what everyones opinion is of it and Fr. Seraphim. From what Ive read, he seems to be pretty intelligent.

I will bet that the Orthodox will be less than pleased to hear that they are not regular Christians.

1. what do you mean by “Orthodox Christianity?” There are actually 2 Church communions which called themselves “Orthodox” with a capital “O.” The Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox.

Additionally, the Catholic Church is the true “orthodox” Church as the world “orthodox” means true doctrine in Greek. From the beginning, the members of the Catholic Church often referred to the “orthodox Catholic Church” (little “o”)

2 ) what do you mean by “regular Christianity”? Do you mean all Catholics, Latin Catholic (aka Roman Catholics), all Western Christians? Not sure what you mean.

1. in regards to what Father wrote, I would image that if it is “orthodox” (little “o”) then it will be in line with the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox Churches have much more in common with the Catholic Church theologically, than any of them (Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox) has with Protestants.

God Bless

Nah I’m not offended. I assume it’s just a honest mistake wording it like that.
Anyways, Fr. Seraphim Rose is a highly respected (and I Think venerated) Orthodox Christian (albeit not a canonized saint). However not everything he says is considered infallible truth as respected as he may be. For example he wrote a pretty extensive piece on the experience of toll houses but many Orthodox today do not believe in it. However I do not doubt the quality of his writings in general, just like many other Catholic writers with good reputations. And as far as I know, he can very much be considered an orthodox (small o) Christian. And in this sense can he be considered highly from Eastern Christianity, which also includes Eastern CATHOLICS. So in that sense Fr. Seraphim Rose can be very much considered valid/orthodox for Catholics. However this is under the context of eastern Christian theology, as western and eastern Christian theology are different (but complementary you can say).

And the differences between Orthodox and other Christians, I’ll defer that to other forum members, or at least maybe I’ll post an answer later. But what do u want to compare between Orthodoxy and Catholics is it? Since it is very vague (and there are hours worth to talk about).

:confused: What is your definition of “regular Christianity”? And what makes you think Orthodox Christians fall out of this category?

Yeah, I should not have used the word ‘regular’ in my post, not what I was meaning, I was mostly trying to figure out why and when the Orthodox term is used…Ive never heard anyone call my parish an Orthodox catholic church.

Ah, yes, now I understand your query. :slight_smile: Have a look at this:

christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/7519/when-did-the-oriental-orthodox-churches-start-being-called-orthodox

From what I can see, the term “Orthodox” was not used as a distinctive term until many years after the Schism. The more normal way was to talk about the Eastern Church and the Western Church. The everyday usage was “the Greeks”, though this is of course inaccurate since not all Greeks are Orthodox and not all Orthodox are Greek. Meanwhile, Christians in general could be called orthodox or catholic for some centuries, regardless of their east-west allegiance.

The New Advent encyclopedia is also helpful:

How “Orthodox” became the proper name of the Eastern Church it is difficult to say. It was used at first, long before the schism of Photius, especially in the East, not with any idea of opposition against the West, but rather as the antithesis to the Eastern heretics — Nestorians and Monophysites. Gradually, although of course, both East and West always claimed both names, “Catholic” became the most common name for the original Church in the West, “Orthodox” in the East.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.