Orthodox Converts Please!!!

First, are there any Orthodox on here that have converted or will be converting to Catholicism?

If so, why?

Please let us not start a giant debate because if you do, i will have to whip out my Apologetic skills :D :thumbsup:

God Bless,
Bballer32

I'm aware of one former member of this forum who was Orthodox and converted to Catholicism - though she eventually reverted to Orthodoxy. In her case (and I hate putting words into other people's mouths because you can never do them justice) both actions were based on the interpretation of the position of Peter in the Church.

[quote="Nine_Two, post:2, topic:287789"]
I'm aware of one former member of this forum who was Orthodox and converted to Catholicism - though she eventually reverted to Orthodoxy. In her case (and I hate putting words into other people's mouths because you can never do them justice) both actions were based on the interpretation of the position of Peter in the Church.

[/quote]

Ahhh icic... Ya i think i've studied that topic enough to understand the true meaning of the Chair.

MardukM and perhaps a second poster converted from Oriental Orthodoxy to Catholicism, and I recall one or two other, Eastern Orthodox CAF members considering Tiber swim team membership.

Wish I could better answer your question; I can think of far more converts to Eastern/Oriental Orthodoxy from Catholicism than vice-versa on the forum.

[quote="Nine_Two, post:2, topic:287789"]
I'm aware of one former member of this forum who was Orthodox and converted to Catholicism - though she eventually reverted to Orthodoxy.

[/quote]

That would probably be SingleMomMonica, right? (She was around before I registered, but I've come across CAF threads in which she was involved.)

In her case (and I hate putting words into other people's mouths because you can never do them justice) both actions were based on the interpretation of the position of Peter in the Church.

That's one can of worms the opening of which I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I thought about it, but decided not to because I need to really settle down and explore Orthodoxy as far as it will take me. I agree with the Catholic Church on a lot of things, including the role of the Pope, and do not believe that he would ever impose much upon the Eastern churches unless there was a severe emergency. Yet I know all Bishops, Patriarchs, and Popes are men and are therefore imperfect and can make mistakes.

I used to have a friend on Facebook who thought I should convert, given I have a fairly decent understanding of the ecumenical issues. He was concerned that if I didn't, that my salvation might be in jeopardy. The areas where I disagree with the Catholic Church and yes even my own Orthodox church, are only the areas where I have a hard time adapting myself to what the Church teaches. But I guess with time, and devoting myself to practicing my faith more -- I will become changed by it. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.