Orthodox Jewish sevices.

Hello,

I have a question. Do orthodox Jewish service have music? It might seem like a silly question, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that a Orthodox Jewish service does not employ musical instrument. Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

Hi deb1!

You posted:

Do orthodox Jewish service have music? It might seem like a silly question, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that a Orthodox Jewish service does not employ musical instrument. Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

First, your question is not silly! No honest, sincerely asked question can be. :slight_smile:

On Shabbat (i.e. the Sabbath) and major holydays (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, the first & last days of Passover, Weeks/Shavuot/Pentecost & the first and last days of Tabernacles; see jewfaq.org/toc.htm#Times), playing musical instruments is forbidden. On regular weekdays & other holydays (such as Hanukkah), while it isn’t technically forbidden, the near-universal custom is not to do so.

Many parts of our liturgy (jewfaq.org/liturgy.htm) are singable. Some orthodox synagogues will sing more, others less. At mine, we sing alot (singing helps us put some spiritual oomph into our prayers!). Just about every part of the prayer service that it’s possible to sing, we sing (we also dance :dancing: a little), but it’s all vocals only. There are many traditional tunes for particular prayers/hymns. There are tunes we’ll use evety week (on the Sabbath) & tunes we’ll use only once a year (on particular holydays).

Howzat?

Be well!

ssv :wave:

:slight_smile: Thank you, stillsmallvoice. I was hoping that you would answer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.