Orthodox Monk

I feel very in touched with the practices of Orthodox Monks, the Jesus Prayers, etc. I want to devote my entire life to prayer, to Christ, etc. I’m young and am barely into high school. What should I do? Btw, I’m an Orthodox Catechumen.
God bless you.

The best thing you can do right now is pray for the conversion of the world and us poor sinners in it. Keep praying! God Bless!

The Orthodox and Eastern Catholics who practice the Jesus prayer advocate having a spiritual director; I think you should talk to a priest about your desire to more fully practice your faith.

Get through high school and college first with a serious spiritual life and experience life in the world for awhile.

Ave Maria!

There are Saints and Doctors of the Church who strongly advise against this and warn that you risk not only losing your vocation, but even losing your soul and taking others down with you.

Although this may sound extreme to you, keep in mind who the saints are (e.g. the experienced spiritual masters who have made it to heaven and were made saints to guide you), especially the Doctors of the Church, whose profound wisdom and teachings have been elevated to the highest in the Church.

This is not to say that you should absolutely avoid secular high school and college, but consider it a warning from our brothers and sisters in heaven who are constantly being drowned out and forgotten by the common views of the world today.

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us. Ave Maria!

fra John Paul

Ave Maria!

One of many sentiments from the saints, but here’s one from Venerable Teresita Quevado (1930-1950), who was young, popular, beautiful, very active, and very outgoing,

A friend once told her that she would enjoy her life while she was young and later after doing all she wanted to do she would join the convent. Teresita was indignant. “How selfish you are to give God the leftovers!” she said. "Jesus has better taste than that! He wants the gift of youth with all its joys and dreams!"

She had a profound Marian devotion, became a model Carmelite, and died at only 20 years old.

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us. Venerable Teresita, pray for us. Ave Maria!

fra John Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.