Orthodox/Non-Latin-Rite Catholics: Eucharistic Adoration?

I’m curious about the practices of our Eastern brethren relating to Eucharistic Adoration. Is it as big as it has become in the Latin Rite? Specifically I am speaking of perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.

Thanks!

As I understand, it is simply not part of their tradition.

That is as I expected, but I’m hoping to get some personal experiences from our Eastern Churches.

There were at least two recent threads that covered the subject of Eucharistic Adoration, in general.

The short answer to the OP is that Perpetual Adoration is uniquely Latin Catholic.

There are some practices among Eastern Catholics that are somewhat analogous to Eucharistic Adoration, but that must be understood in context as well.

This one may help: Eastern Saints and Eucharistic Adoration

As I thought. Thanks for the responses, thread closed :smiley:

Before xzereus closes the thread (lol), just a question; is it typical for Eastern Catholics and/or EO parishes to regularly have the reliquae reserved? IOW, would one more often then not find the reserved sacrament in the sanctuary?

Jon

A priest may reserve some of the Holy Eucharist for a number of purposes, most commonly to bring to the sick.

Bear in mind that there are practical considerations, as leavened bread is used and the Eucharist is administered in both species, combined.

=ByzCathCantor;9568979]A priest may reserve some of the Holy Eucharist for a number of purposes, most commonly to bring to the sick.

Yes. We do that too.

Bear in mind that there are practical considerations, as leavened bread is used and the Eucharist is administered in both species, combined.

:doh2: I knew that. Sometimes I’m dense. Thanks for the info.

Jon

The usual Eucharistic adoration for Byzantine Rite Catholics and Eastern Orthodox is during Lent when the Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts are held. During what is usually called The Great Entrance during Divine Liturgy, the Sacred Species is processed through the iconostas (usually this just involved the Precious Body or the Bread, the Precious Blood is not reserved, but the priest may pour a little of the Precious Blood into the Precious Body before reserving it). The laity who are there prostrate

(the rightmost one)

during the procession until the Eucharist is at the Holy Table (altar)

Normally at the end of Liturgy the priest (or deacon or bishop) would consume all of the Eucharist. They would reserve only when necessary, that is if they know they need to bring for someone who is sick, and of course if there is a Presanctified Liturgy that will be said.

I know that some view the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts as a form of Eucharistic Adoration, yet this seems to be a bit of a stretch (no pun intended in relation to your prostration reference). The Holy Eucharist is intended for the faithful.

Yes, and the faithful who are gathered there show reverence to the Sacred Species in procession.

At the procession, true, as a penitential gesture and reminder of the Perfect Sacrifice befitting the season. The primary difference being that Eucharistic Adoration is, well, strictly that - Communion is not offered as part of it, nor are Vespers incorporated in the service. At Eucharistic Adoration, the focus is the Real Presence. At Presanctified, the focus is the Perfect Sacrifice (“that we may become sharers of the Mysteries of Your Redemption …”).

Oh, okay, I get what you are saying now :smiley:

Yes, it is not a Eucharistic Adoration in the Latin Rite context, but it is Eucharistic Adoration wherein the Eucharist is in our presence and we show our reverence to Him.

And the Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.