Orthodox Patriarch Optimistic About Unity

Notes Progress Made by Joint Commission

ISTANBUL, Turkey, DEC. 1, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I is affirming that progress is being made on the path to Catholic-Orthodox unity, and says uprooting the obstacle caused by the “thorny question” of papal primacy will be key for continued progress.

The patriarch of Constantinople made this affirmation when he welcomed a delegation from the Holy See for Monday’s feast of St. Andrew, patron of the Orthodox Church.

The Vatican delegation was headed by Cardinal Walter Kasper and Bishop Brian Farrell, president and secretary of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

Bartholomew said the presence of the delegation in Istanbul “confirms the desire to eliminate the impediments accumulated in the course of a millennium to attain the fullness of communion.”

An Orthodox delegation makes a similar visit to the Vatican for the June 29 feast of Sts. Peter and Paul…Read more

As someone who just came home in April, it overjoys me every time I see steps being made toward truly fulfilling Christ’s prayer that we’ll all be one. :slight_smile: :extrahappy:

Lord, let it happen! There is too much evil in the world for Christ’s Church to be separated.

oh this would be great! I pray daily for unity between the East and West:)

I just happened to see an interview with the Patriach on Charlie Rose. I’m not a regular watcher so spare me the derision. I must say I was very impressed. I found him to be quite compelling, well spoken and peaceful. I think that the purpose of Christianity is to unite mankind. I sincerely hope that God’s work will be accomplished.

It would be cool. If the issue of the papacy is a problem, I say lets get back together & let the next one be elected from the combined Church. They can deal with the filioqui (sp) too.

Finally, it’s nice to know that at least something is going right for a change. I sincerely hope and pray that the Reunification comes to pass.

that isnt the issue

they believe that the Pope is one amoung equals, the primate of the entire church

we however, view his as the Supreme and infalliable head of the Church

That’s great news. Blessed be God. However, much work is still to be done. In this age of secularism and militant atheism, we all need to stick together.

A previous poster mentions that they want Christ’s Church to be united…She already is. The Catholic Church is one, holy, and apostolic already, without the Eastern Orthodox.

The filioque cause is not much of an issue now, but Papal Supremacy will be the sticking point.

But if the Pope washed the feet of the Orthodox, Anglicans and Lutherans, then this should help to overcome Papal Supremacy.

Blessings

Eric

Luke 12:51 Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.

Context!

THAT division is the temporary division inevitable in the period when there are both believers and unbelievers in the world. Jesus CLEARLY prayed for unity among his followers.

I’m curious about something, though. Should we attempt at engaging the Jews and Muslims to join in the effort to combat the encroaching Marxism or leave them be to their own devices. Despite obvious philosophical differences, it wouldn’t hurt to have both sons of Abraham united in combating this menace, would it?

The differences between the Church and the Jews are irreconcilable, unless they turn to Christ their Saviour. We can join in with secularists in fighting Marxism too, but the Eastern Orthodox were once part of the one, holy, Catholic and apostolic Church, and it is important for our times for them to return to the Church Christ founded.

The Church needs both lungs to breath fully…she is missing much of the Eastern one…

It is heresy to say that the Church is lacking something, the Church is one. She is the mystical body and bride of Christ. It is they who lack the Church.

Unity among his followers, yes. I would not say that the purpose of Christianity is to unite all mankind, unless we can propose that Hell is empty. Otherwise, there will be those, past and future, who are eternally not united.

the Eastern Orthodox are a Church or rather they are several …just as the Catholic Church is made up of 22 or so. They lack unity with the See of Rome. They lack no Sacraments(Mysteries) and they teach no heresy although many will debate the whole Filioque issue.

I’m not trying to be heretical so forgive me if I sounded like I was. indeed the Church teaches the fullness of the truth…but she is severed…she needs unity!

Let us spray that there may be reunification.

The Eastern Orthodox share a close communion with us, but they are outside of the Church that Christ founded. They teach no heresy? How about denying Papal Supremacy? And therefore Papal Infallibility? Their view of the Sacrament of Matrimony is wrong as well. (They say that the blessing of the priest is necessary for the sacrament, it is not)

The Church can not be severed.

The spouse of Christ cannot be adulterous; she is uncorrupted and pure. She knows one home; she guards with chaste modesty the sanctity of one couch. She keeps us for God. She appoints the sons whom she has born for the kingdom. Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adulteress, is separated from the promises of the Church; nor can he who forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ. He is a stranger; he is profane; he is an enemy. He can no longer have God for his Father, who has not the Church for his mother. If any one could escape who was outside the ark of Noah, then he also may escape who shall be outside of the Church. The Lord warns, saying, ‘He who is not with me is against me, and he who gathereth not with me scattereth.’ Cyprian, On Unity, 6 (A.D. 251).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.