Orthodox?

Whlst browsing the web, I came across this…

*The Orthodox Church is the first Christian Church, the Church founded by the Lord Jesus Christ and described in the pages of the New Testament. Her history can be traced in unbroken continuity all the way back to Christ and His Twelve Apostles.

*Thoughts and comments welcome. I thought the Catholic church was the first and original chruch?

In Peace, Mr Average

Could you give some referrences to back up your claim?

In Christ,
Selvaraj

[quote=selvaraj]Could you give some referrences to back up your claim?

In Christ,
Selvaraj
[/quote]

Yes indeed… Please see here… www

go down to faq on left and then you will find it… www.resurrectionmission.org

In Peace, Mr Average

The Orthodox look at themselves as the one true church. They are the result of the great schism that is commonly given the date of 1054. They have true sacraments and apostolic succession, but they are a product of this schism.

They have essentially the same beliefs to the Catholic Church. However, they express things a little differently. If you have ever been to a Byzantine Catholic Church you have seen what an Orthodox Church is like. The Orthodox and the Eastern Catholics have the same way of expressing things, and they have the same liturgy, but the Byzantine Catholics are in communion with Rome, while the Orthodox are outside communion.

[quote=Mr Average]Whlst browsing the web, I came across this…

The Orthodox Church is the first Christian Church, the Church founded by the Lord Jesus Christ and described in the pages of the New Testament. Her history can be traced in unbroken continuity all the way back to Christ and His Twelve Apostles.

**Thoughts and comments welcome. I thought the Catholic church was the first and original chruch?

In Peace, Mr Average

[/quote]

Hmmmm, well It’s late on the West Coast (after 2 am) to address in full so this will be short. Below is an article from the Catholic Encyclopedia on the Schism of 1054
newadvent.org/cathen/13535a.htm

The first Church was the Catholic (Universal) Church, and the Orthodox and Catholics trace their succession back to the Apostles. Yes, the Catholic Church retains the fullness of Truth. There is so many caveats in the explanations on the site that it’d take an hour to address. But I would like to look at this statement from the FAQ page further down:

“The Tradition as a set of basic principles outlining our worldview is a constant. Its very constancy, however, sometimes will even demand change.”

How does “constancy… demand change”???
( I am guessing the author was confused :confused: as the individual had a few sections up distinguished between Tradition with a capital “T” and tradition with a lower case “t”.) Thanks and God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.