Orthodoxy and the Pre-schism Western Fathers

I’ve noticed a trend that seems prevalent amongst those from Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy. Why is it that the Orthodox hardly ever quote pre-schism western fathers? :confused:

Oh and although he is post-schism; what are the Orthodox views of St Thomas Aquinas and his theology?

I could venture a guess: Probably because eastern theology had been developing on its own, and different from western theology since pentecost. Christians in the east approach our faith a lot differently than we do in the west. So the pre-schism eastern fathers are naturally who they gravitate to.

[quote="Wandile, post:1, topic:311133"]
I've noticed a trend that seems prevalent amongst those from Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy. Why is it that the Orthodox hardly ever quote pre-schism western fathers? :confused:

[/quote]

Why do those from Western Catholicism rarely quote Eastern Fathers?

Actually in my experience, they do quote the eastern fathers alongside the western fathers. Not equally though but they quote them enough to notice it.

A different emphasis. Though I do like Saint Ambrose on the duties of hte clergy and often like his exortation to silence from scripture.

We do quote them, but like you say about Romans quoting Eastern fathers, it is not evenly, as we are focused more on our own fathers. Perhaps you just haven’t noticed because you don’t read modern Eastern or Oriental theologians?

I study theology at a Catholic University.
My teacher only quotes St. Augustine and Thomas Aquinas.
No Greek Father, nor Syrian, nor Coptic, nor Armenian, not even St. Ambrose who is a Latin Father.

So I could ask the same: Catholicism and Pre-schism Eastern Fathers :shrug:

[quote="Wandile, post:4, topic:311133"]
Actually in my experience, they do quote the eastern fathers alongside the western fathers. Not equally though but they quote them enough to notice it.

[/quote]

I can't recall a single instance.

Same thing happened to me when I was attending a Catholic university! :stuck_out_tongue:

In Christ,
Andrew

They do, although certainly not as often as Eastern fathers. I frequently hear Tertullian, Irenaeaus, Cyprian of Carthage, St. Hilary of Poitiers, St. Ambrose, St. Jerome, St. Augustine and Pope St. Gregory quoted.

Because the pre-schism Western Fathers rarely had much influence on the Eastern Outlook. There were also considerably more Eastern Fathers than there were in the West, meaning their voices were minimized that much more.

Yes, the real answer. The schism didn’t happen in a day or a year or a hundred years. I think this leads to the question: is there an essential difference between these Church Fathers that led to increasing theological distance between East and West?

I would say there is no difference between the very early ones, but the later you move the later they diverge, however even by the end of the millennium I don’t think the divergence is all that great, it is for the most part an issue of emphasis.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.