Orthodoxy....

How do us Catholics differ from the Orthodox? Some Orthodox guy keeps telling me that the Catholics aren’t the one true church because they split off of the Orthodox. Also do you have any sites that I could use to study up on the Catholic view point of Eastern Orthodoxy? Thanks,

Saint_George

[quote=Saint_George]How do us Catholics differ from the Orthodox? Some Orthodox guy keeps telling me that the Catholics aren’t the one true church because they split off of the Orthodox. Also do you have any sites that I could use to study up on the Catholic view point of Eastern Orthodoxy? Thanks,

Saint_George
[/quote]

Read: Eastern Orthodoxy

Also: newadvent.org/cathen/13535a.htm

The Eastern Orthodox are not the true Church that Christ established, they are a separated part of it. Christ built his Church on Peter. As stated on my favorite qoute below. Even the Early Church Fathers of the East confirm that the Pope of Rome is the successor of Peter and should be prime. They refused to accept the Primacy of the Pope, which is needed for true unity. They call their Church “Orthodox” and as St. Augustine says, the true Church is that one that is called Catholic, in which all recognize as Catholic. No where in the Nicene Creed (in which they claim to profess) does it say “one true Orthodox and Apostolic Church” but it says “one true Catholic and Apostolic Church.” They claim that the Pope should only have a primacy of “honor.” :whacky: They would rather give an emperor or dictator more authority, as it shows they have in History.

I hope and pray that someday all Christians will be united. I pray mostly for the unity between Rome and Constantinople.

can someone recommend a Catholic book that critiques Eastern Orthodox theology such as the theology of the Eastern Orthodox St Gregory Palamas?

[quote=anonymousguy]can someone recommend a Catholic book that critiques Eastern Orthodox theology such as the theology of the Eastern Orthodox St Gregory Palamas?
[/quote]

Keep in mind that most of the “Orthodox” saints are Eastern Catholic saints and are not exclusively “Orthodox” saints.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.