OSAS, James White and William Webster

I was discussing OSAS with a protestant, they emailed me the following links to prove OSAS:
aomin.org/Hebrews10.html
christiantruth.com/gospeljustification.html

Can anyone point me to specific refutation of these articles. The first link is James White’s response to a debate with Sungenis…I’m sure Sungenis has responded somewhere.

thanks,
Doug

bringyou.to/apologetics/Win.htm

:slight_smile:

Thanks, but that link discusses Sola Scriptura not OSAS (once saved always saved).

Ask them can the bible contradict itself.

Ask them where is the shadow of the OSAS in the OT. All theologies in the new must have some shadow of it in the old. the whole ‘old is revealed in the new thing’. No shadow? Theology cant be true

Ask them how can it be true if you cant test your faith. If someone tested their faith honestly, and came back true, they should never later test false. yet this happens all to often. saying “they were never true Christians to begin with” is just a cop out that isn’t supported in scripture? If you can’t test your salvation based on OSAS theology, then it must be false.

Ask them Why we are to persevere to the end.

Ask them we there are so many verses commenting on hoping. why hope for something we already have.

Ask them how someone can be blotted out from the book of life. Once in there, they can never be removed…

Ask them how someone can be a part of the vine, only to later be cut off…

Ask them why Paul often writes to believers about not falling into traps.

Ask them why Paul even says he needs to be careful not to fall from the very thing he is teaching?

Ask them if they have a true faith, and never do what is in the bible can they be saved?

If they say yes, Ask why Jesus says ‘why do you call me lord lord and not do as I say’

Ask them if it is possible, no matter how small a chance, their understanding of those verses is wrong

Ask them why is it the Holy Spirit is leading you to believe OSAS is NOT true?

Ask them why no one taught this for nearly 1500 years…

I could keep going…

OSAS rests on a flawed understanding of the word Faith and only a few verses here and there pieced together to say something that was never intended. Verses that once properly looked at do NOT say OSAS. OSAS is the illegitimated child and ultimate result of Faith alone, though thankfully, only a few denoms believe in some variant of OSAS.

In Christ

Faith alone justifies but the faith that justifies will always give evidence of its existence, bearing fruit in holiness of life.

I found this in Webster’s article. This is contradicted by:

2 Peter 1:5-9

5For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

Something that involves effort does not happen automatically. Also note verse 9. This verse refers to someone who has not added all of the things listed to his/her faith? Is their faith genuine? Well if their past sins have been cleansed, then it must be genuine. Then why hasn’t his/her faith born the fruit of holiness?

Secondly, even if faith bears fruit in a life of holiness, there is no assurance that that person will persevere in holiness:

Ezekiel 18:24

**24 "But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, he will die. **

If the righteous person dies in his sin, then obvioulsy he /she has not persevered to the end. Yet the Bible states that only those whio persevere to the end will be saved.

God Bless,
Michael

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.