OT spiritually dry?

compared to the new testament, I find the old testament lacking in some areas of moral and spiritual uplifting guidance. I mean in the new we have the gospels that has a ton of parables and teachings plus pauls letters which are very insightful of right speech conduct etc. But when I read the old testament I don’t get that. Majority of the books are history books how the nation of Israel and the founding people came to be. Rest is prophetic books return to God or else. There are some wisdom books there and proverbs but very view. I’m trying to find out how Jews or early Christians where fed spiritually before the new testament relying on the old only. Was it more oral tradition? should I look into midrash and Talmud which I wanted to buy.

You would find few richer than the Psalms.

"To be ignorant of Scripture
is to be ignorant of **
Christ
**." **
- St. Jerome**

:coffeeread:
CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH

PART ONE: THE PROFESSION OF FAITH

Article 2 - THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION

Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit.

Article 3 - SACRED SCRIPTURE

In Sacred Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it [FONT=“Arial Black”]not as human word, "but as what it really is, the Word of God."

[quote]In the
[size=]sacred books
[/size]

the Father who is in heaven
comes lovingly :heart: to meet his children,
and talks with them.[/FONT]
[/quote]

[INDENT]:bible1: “How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand …” Psalms 139:17-18b[/INDENT]

[INDENT]:bible1: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.” Isaiah 55:8[/INDENT]

[INDENT]:bible1: “So shall **my word **be that goeth forth out of **my **mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which **I **please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto **I **sent it.” Isaiah 55:11[/INDENT]

[INDENT]:bible1: “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but **my words **shall not pass away.” Matthew 24:35[/INDENT]

"And the
Word

was made flesh,
and dwelt among us,
and we saw **his glory; **
the **glory **as it were of the
only begotten of the Father,
full of grace and truth."
John 1:14
:bible1:

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
*. . . thank You Blessed Lord+
. . . thank You Gracious Heavenly Father+
. . . thank You Sweet Spirit of our Holy God+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Mary+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+
*[/RIGHT]

Take a good Catholic Scripture study. There are many out there. Call around to nearby parishes to see what is available.
You are dismissing a WEALTH of God’s word.
I would start with some of the Ignatius Study Bible books.
There are many of the individual Books sold here. amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ignatius+Study+Bible
The footnotes are amazing.

There are many beautiful and spiritually rich books in the Old Testament.

I don’t agree with your characterization of prophetic books as “return to God or else.” Those books have a lot to say about God’s providence and mercy, and about hope and salvation. Look more closely!

And as if the New Testament isn’t also “return to God or else…”

One only need the Gospels to hear that general message from Jesus’ own lips.

And as if the New Testament isn’t also “return to God or else…”

One only need the Gospels to hear that general message from Jesus’ own lips.

There is a reason the Church uses the Old Testament in its official daily prayer. It’s BECAUSE of the riches contained in it, not despite its poverty.

You are correct. Such a characterization is an impoverished view of God’s Word.

I was eyeing the Ignatius study bible and the separate books on the OT might be good I should get them

that’s true Jesus and the NT quotes often from psalms

They are a good place to start.
Welcome to the fora.

While tgeres a wealth of beautiful

Um, I’ll try that again.

While there’s a wealth of beautiful stuff in the OT, the NT is where it all comes together. That’s where the light came into the world after all. That’s when the New Covenant was established, that’s when our Lord resurrected. While the new fulfills and explains and fleshes out the old, they’re still quite different, a marked change in history had occurred. A whole new revelation that inspired the writers with a very deep knowledge of God.That can’t help but be noticeable when reading.it IMO

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.