Other Catholic rites and Protestantism

Could it be possible that if the Roman Church where to show it’s other rites to the Protestants that we could draw them out of heresy?

Not at all helpful to use the word heresy when talking about protestants.

And yes, its possible. More helpful though would be the Anglican Ordinate and the Catholic Charismatic Movement.

Well that is true and would only push them away but what else could I say.

Well, you could take a cue from the Church which does not refer to Protestants as “heretics” because 1. It’s now an inflammatory word. 2. Protestants today were not responsible for breaking away from the Catholic Church. 3. A formal heretic is a Catholic who embraces heretical opinions.

You could just call them protestants and if you need to describe there teachings you could just say “False Teachings”.

Thank you.

by definition they are considered in “protest” of the teaching of the Church which is driven by the Word of God. So wouldn’t that be …heretic? Just because its become an “inflammatory” word, doesn’t mean it doesn’t hold true. We can sit all day and try to figure out how to change the description but it all boils down to the same thing. :shrug:

To the OP, what sort of rites are you speaking of? I doubt anything that is shown to someone in an attempt to change their way of thinking of beliefs is going to work out very well. As a protestant, I was more intrigued (initially) by the example of the Catholics I know. Then exploring the faith I learned a lot and the puzzle was complete. :thumbsup:

I am referring to the other Rites that make up the Catholic Church other than the Latin one. I just thought it was worth thinking about

Because heresy is a word used for Catholics who defect from the truth, not people that were never Catholics. The Church has said numerous times that present protestants are not to be held responsible for actions that took place 500 years ago(obviously), and clearly does not call protestants heretics.

If you wrap an unwanted gift in different wrapping paper that doesn’t make the gift any less unwanted. I don’t know why the papacy would be any less offensive to Protestants just because he’s prayed for in an Eastern context instead of a Western one. The same with any of the other doctrinal disagreements the protestants have with y’all.

If we showed you videos of Western Rite Orthodoxy, would you suddenly become Orthodox?

Leaving the heresy question aside :wink: As a protestant I am indeed curious about something; what about the other rites do you feel might draw us in, or make us “feel” more comfortable with it? And, this is a sincere question.

Don’t worry about it, I know what you mean. And I think most people do too, they just want to pick a fight. Perhaps we could say that we want to “divorce them from errors and heretical ideas.”

But to answer your question, yes I think that you’re on to something with this idea. The Church is so diverse that there is a place for all of us. For example, maybe Eastern theology, with its emphasis on the need to directly experience Christ, could be something familiar to a Protestant and cause him to open up a bit.

I think it depends on which teachings of the Church they protest. It’s worth a shot, but in principle, the Eastern Catholics and Latin Catholics both believe the same things, but just express it differently.

For example, if their sole issue was married Priests, then perhaps the Eastern Catholic Churches or Anglican Use would be a good option. However, if they disagree with Tradition or Dogmas like the Communion of Saints, then the Eastern Catholic Churches isn’t going to “cure” them.

However, I do agree, that we should use Eastern Catholic Churches and Anglican Use in Evangelization (when appropriate). Our goal should be to introduce them to the Catholic Church, not solely Roman Rite.

God Bless.

Its not just for Catholics who defect from the truth.
thefreedictionary.com/heretic
n.
A person who holds controversial opinions, especially one who publicly dissents from the officially accepted dogma of the Roman Catholic Church

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heretic
someone who believes or teaches something that goes against accepted or official beliefs

Take a look at this tract from Catholic.com
catholic.com/tracts/the-great-heresies

"Protestantism (16th Century)

Protestant groups display a wide variety of different doctrines. However, virtually all claim to believe in the teachings of sola scriptura (“by Scripture alone”—the idea that we must use only the Bible when forming our theology) and sola fide (“by faith alone”— the idea that we are justified by faith only).

The great diversity of Protestant doctrines stems from the doctrine of private judgment, which denies the infallible authority of the Church and claims that each individual is to interpret Scripture for himself. This idea is rejected in 2 Peter 1:20, where we are told the first rule of Bible interpretation: “First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation.” A significant feature of this heresy is the attempt to pit the Church “against” the Bible, denying that the magisterium has any infallible authority to teach and interpret Scripture.

The doctrine of private judgment has resulted in an enormous number of different denominations. According to The Christian Sourcebook, there are approximately 20-30,000 denominations, with 270 new ones being formed each year. Virtually all of these are Protestant."

While The Church may not come out and specifically state it as such, it is what it is. Protestants beliefs reject teachings of The Church do they not? Maybe a nicer way to put it is “Our separated brothers and sisters in Christ who follow heretical teaching”?:confused:

I sent you a pm but thanks for taking an interest

As Protestantism is a behemoth of beliefs and practices, it’s hard to make a conclusion about what Protestants would do.

I suppose some will be drawn by the beauty of the liturgy of the Catholic rites, whatever rites appeal to their sensibilities. Some will be drawn by the beauty of Catholics. Some will be drawn by the logic of our teachings.

Hard to say. :shrug:

Upon reading this, I was going to ask “Can you elaborate on that idea? I feel like I’m seeing only a dim profile rather than a complete picture.” but after reading the responses thus far, that question seems a tad out of place. :slight_smile: :blush:

In the Latin Catholic Church, the most commonly used rite in unquestionably the Roman Rite. There are also several other Western rites, e.g. Mozarabic, Ambrosian, etc.

Besides the Latin Church, the Roman Communion also contains 22 Eastern Catholic Churches, which use various rites. (For example, the 14 Greek Catholic Churches all used the Byzantine Rite.)

Ignoring the heresy comment, I think it depends on the “protestant” you are speaking to. Liturgical, sacramental are more likely to be attracted to similar styles of worship and liturgy. Non-liturgical, non-sacramental types less so.

But then , it also seems that liturgical types like Lutherans have a more defined doctrine that won’t be ignored in favor of liturgical practice, etc.

In short, maybe, maybe not.

Jon

:hmmm:

Jon

The tone of the original post is all too common among Roman Catholics who practice their faith-

Protestants in the USA know about the Catholic Church and if interested will inquire-Do they have misconceptions -sure they do-

The Protestants of Europe certainly know about the RC Church-yet no one is flocking to it ( nor the Protestant Churches)-indeed all denominations except the Muslims are declining

as for various rituals-many of the Protestant denominations can out do the RC_=the Lutheran Church (MS) & the “High Church” Anglicans-but one could try-see how explaining the Roman Catholic Mass to a congregation of Baptists would go over-see how the appeal to “logic” would work

It seems to me that the MIllenials , many of whom are “unchurched” should be your target audience-or the 1:10 Americans who are exCatholics

My denomination believes that all Churches are doing God’s work-we respect the Pope as a wise and Holy Man-we do not use the term Heretic when referring to other religions (among our own -ah Bishop Sponge we may)-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.