Other churches (not catholic) believe Jesus is lord

In the bible Jesus told His diciples that those who were not against Him were for Him, even though they were not of the flock of twelve, or the seventy.
So, why is it that we catholics say that only the catholics will go to heaven, and have the truth, that Jesus is Lord, when others believe the same?

:hmmm:
Godbless

Isn’t more along the lines of “we Catholics have the understanding and fullness of the Truth that display and present the means necessary in hopes of achieving Salvation?”,not so much as “only Catholics” go to Heaven?

In the afterlife, we will all be Catholic - those in Hell, those in Purgatory, and those in Heaven. That’s because the Catholic faith is the true faith that was established by Jesus Himself, and at the Judgment Day, we will all know the Truth.

We have a much better chance of getting to Heaven if we become Catholic during this life, though and follow the disciplines of the Catholic faith during this lifetime, rather than wait until the afterlife and take our chances that we were just ignorant enough to avoid the pains of Hell. This doesn’t mean that it is impossible for Protestants and other unbelievers to get to Heaven, but they have to get to Heaven on the basis of ignorance (that they didn’t understand that Jesus meant for us all to be members of His Church) rather than on the basis of faith in and obedience to Jesus.

Hey GLS,
Don’t you have a copy of the Catechism?

**Who belongs to the Catholic Church? **
836 "All men are called to this catholic unity of the People of God. . . . And to it, in different ways, belong or are ordered: the Catholic faithful, others who believe in Christ, and finally all mankind, called by God’s grace to salvation."320
837 "Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who - by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion - are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but ‘in body’ not ‘in heart.’"321
838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist."324

and further

**“Outside the Church there is no salvation” **
846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336
847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337
848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

We don’t say that ONLY catholics will go to Heaven. Others especially the religious ignorant have a possibility also. The Catholic Church does however have the Truth, the whole truth and is the Mystical Body of Jesus Christ, speaking and acting for Him in the world today.

They may not be Catholics here on earth while they are still alive. But when they die God has His own way to make them Catholics there in heaven provided they did not willfully go against the Catholic Church while they were alive here on earth. The Church you know is not restricted to this earth. The Church encompasses heaven and earth.

Do Catholics say that? Perhpas some but that’s not what the church says.

Keep in mind that when He spoke those words the Catholic Church was not yet founded and His disciples at that point in time were only spreading the good news of salvation (correct me if I’m wrong).

After the pentecost, do you think that those people did not assimilate with the Christian church which is now the Catholic Church?

… unless they became heretical.
Just a thought…:shrug:

Be angry, and sin not… Give not place to the devil.
Ephesians 4:26-27 :mad: + :signofcross:

I wonder why the church is silent about these matters, some in our church and others in the neighbour hood do say that ONLY catholics
Godbless

Well, Catholics are members of the Church that Christ founded, which certainly gives an advantage to Catholics. Other churches were founded by people who could not or would not live according to the morality and teachings of Christ in the Church.

Yes that doesn’t sound too bad even though I still go back to Jesus saying to the diciples when the other people there performed miracals and the diciples complained of this doing since the others were not of Jesus group " He who is not against me if for me"

Godbless

Yes I do have the Cat of the Catholic Church. However thank you.
I am not one to take in what the church reiterates when the word of the bible is quite self explanitory.
I then go to praying to the Holy Spirit to share with me the truth to set me free, and I will not put down what you have given me. Ifind that I get eye tired from so much study, unless it is reading the bible.
Godbless.

Eventually they became members of Christ’s Church, too, though. (Catholics, like the Disciples.) They didn’t remain outside forever.

Godlovestrength,

That is all well and good, but you are misusing the text. When you read the passage in context, you will see that Jesus is attempting to show the apostles that they are not to Lord their position over others.

The complete passage is as follows:

Mark 9:33-40
And they came to Caperna-um; and when he was in the house he asked them, “What were you discussing on the way?” But they were silent; for on the way they had discussed with one another who was the greatest. And he sat down and called the twelve; and he said to them, “If any one would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” And he took a child, and put him in the midst of them; and taking him in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.” John said to him, “Teacher, we saw a man casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he was not following us.” But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him; for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is for us.”

Likewise Jesus has this to say as well:

Matthew 12:30
He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.

If someone does not gather with the Church established by Jesus, which is his body, he will scatter.

The answers given to you are good, and you should give them careful thought and reflection.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Likewise Jesus has this to say as well:
Matthew 12:30
He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.

If someone does not gather with the Church established by Jesus, which is his body, he will scatter.

Please where is this in scripture also the wording you use below ?

The answers given to you are good, and you should give them careful thought and reflection.

Godbless

The Church isn’t silent about such matters. For example, that Catechism that you’re too tired to read and to which Church Militant referred speaks rather clearly to answer your questions.

– Mark L. Chance.

They don’t believe the same. They don’t agree with Jesus’ will to obey the first pope Peter and his cuccessors. They don’t confess their sins, they don’t eat the real Body and and don’t drink real Blood of Jesus. They also often
feel hatred towards the CC and spread lies about us.
As you see they are quite different from us. God bless.

There seems to be a little irritation here, it’s not ment to create that how ever, from time to time I do read the catechism which I have at all times next to my computer.
My wife and i exchange thoughts, readings, and understandings from the Bible and at times catechism.

I am not a militant, I am a person who reads, listens to others, the radio, the readers at mass and TV, as much as possible about the bible. I know that in matters concerning the word of God the church (Pope) is infallable.
I have my two catholic bibles with me, and love to read the word of God. I love to read especially how the Holy Spirit interacts with Jesus with prophets and others in the bible.

It is not a matter of not reading the catechism for me but rather that I wonder if people read God’s word understanding more from the catechism than the Bible, and hence leave out the right and desire for the Holy spirit to speak into the hearts of God’s people with the understanding He wishes to convey at THAT time for THAT reason. Remember Jesus tells us that “His ways are fare above ours”

Do you think that in reading the catechism I will get the same answer that God wishes me to gain as I would from reading the bible and using discernment? This is not a put down, please.
Godbless

It isn’t. Why does everyone blame the Catholic Church for their own misunderstanding, when anyone who likes can go look at the Catechism?

Edwin

Yes, because the Catechism is going to help you understand the Bible. In his 2nd epistle, St Peter says:

2 Peter 3:16 as also in all his[Paul’s] letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort[twist], as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Peter is telling people, who are strong in the faith, that there are things in Paul’s letters that are difficult to understand. How can he say that if we are perfectly guided by the Holy Spirit? They were not evil, ungodly people, but untaught and unstable because they disregarded the apostles’ doctrine and come to their own conclusions. These people didn’t KNOW they were unlearned or ignorant of the Scriptures, they read them and used “their personal interpretation” to their own destruction, while thinking they knew the truth. They thought they didn’t need to listed to Peter or Paul, they were fine reading Scripture on their own. Everyone reading Scripture for themselves to decide what they believe is NOT Scriptural.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.