Other conditional sacraments?

Conditional baptism is apparently not uncommon. Can any of the other sacraments (confirmation or marriage) be performed conditionally? For example, if there was some doubt as to the validity of a marriage, in a way that the possible impediment would not be current and the parties wished to be married, what would be done?

The late Graham Leonard, Anglican Bishop of London, became a Roman Catholic. He was “conditionally ordained” into his Catholic priesthood.

[quote="Columba_Tom, post:2, topic:325144"]
The late Graham Leonard, Anglican Bishop of London, became a Roman Catholic. He was "conditionally ordained" into his Catholic priesthood.

[/quote]

I couldn't figure out how that could happen, so I had to look it up. Interesting.

**Confirmation, can be administered conditionally. **
For example, if one believes that he was confirmed when he was three years old (he may have been confirmed, by a priest, when he was in danger of death), but he can't find any records & the priest isn't around to verify it. In this case he would be confirmed conditionally.

[quote="DarkLight, post:1, topic:325144"]
Conditional baptism is apparently not uncommon. Can any of the other sacraments (confirmation or marriage) be performed conditionally?

[/quote]

Baptism, confirmation, ordination-- those which impart a permanent character and are received only once.

[quote="DarkLight, post:1, topic:325144"]

For example, if there was some doubt as to the validity of a marriage, in a way that the possible impediment would not be current and the parties wished to be married, what would be done?

[/quote]

I would refer you to the very extensive canons in canon law on this matter. Marriages typically enjoy what is called the favor of the law, meaning they are valid unless proven otherwise. So mere doubt is not sufficient. If proven invalid, or if nullity becomes certain, there are ways to remedy via convalidation, radical sanation, or in cases of the internal forum of simply a private act of the will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.